Just in time for the warm weather!
Am I right?
A Most Refreshing Frozen Watermelon Drink
Watermelons are really that one fruit that is synonymous with a warm summer day. Watermelons are one of those pleasures of summer that we all seem to look forward to.
Watermelons come with their own built in sugar.
It is a natural sugar that comes in the watermelon that makes it taste so sweet. When you use watermelon in a recipe, there is no need to add any more sugar or sugar alternative because, the sugar is there already.
Watermelon also comes with a lot of water.
Water is something that we seem to need a lot of on a warm day. This makes watermelon the perfect summer fruit.
There is some research out there that says watermelon is good for us.
Scientists say that watermelon contains Lycopene, which is good for our vascular health. Watermelon also contains flavonoids, carotenoids, and triterpenoids. These anti-inflammatory and antioxidants have many benefits for us. Some also say that watermelon has anti-inflammatory benefits and offers some allergy relief.
I like that watermelon is a perfect summer treat. Watermelon is cool, sweet, wet and of course, yummy!
For this recipe I am using seedless watermelon.
Seedless watermelon may cost a bit more than the usual seeded watermelon. When you factor in the amount of time it would take to remove the seeds from a seeded watermelon and the number of servings that will come from the watermelon, it really can be worth your while to spend a few cents more to get the seedless watermelon rather than the seeded one.
My secret to making this watermelon slushie even better is to freeze your watermelon first.
You will need to remove the watermelon from the rind and then cut the watermelon into cubes before you can freeze it. This prepping step can make things easier for you when you go to make the slushie. It will also add a nice touch if you are expecting company.
Here is what you will need to make this watermelon slushie.
- Watermelon- seedless is preferred. About 4 cups cut into chunks.
- Sugar alternative or honey- 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Lime juice- 2 tablespoons
How to make this watermelon slushie
- Cut you watermelon into chunks about 1 1/2-2″ in size. You can freeze these chunks over night and then continue with the recipe or you can finish the recipe steps now and then freeze the watermelon mix to blend later.
- If you are using the frozen chunk method, add the frozen watermelon and the remaining ingredients to a blender and blend until desired consistency.
- If you are making the entire mix to freeze and then serve later, combine all ingredients in a blender and puree. Pour the puree into an ice cube tray or stainless bowl,cover, and allow to freeze overnight. When you get close to serving, allow the frozen mix to sit in your refrigerator to soften a bit before serving. Sitting in the refrigerator can take a couple of hours to reach your desired consistency.
Are you thinking about adding alcohol to this recipe?
Add one shot per serving to the blender. The frozen watermelon chunk method, rather than the puree and freeze method, works best for this drink.
Don’t have lime juice? Try using orange juice or even lemon lime soda instead.