I never seriously considered enjoying a Fried Green Tomato until I became a fan of the movie by the same name.
That would be about the time that I was actually convinced that Fried Green Tomatoes do exist.
Delicious Baked Green Tomatoes
Some folks would fry about anything.
I’m one of those people who will figure out how I can bake it too.
Is there really a Green Tomato??
Of course there is a green tomato.
Green is the color of a tomato before it turns red.
There really is no specific tomato that you need to use to make a fried, or baked, green tomato.
Yes, it is kind of deceiving if you are not use to the idea of a fried green tomato. Perhaps, it is just us folks brought up in the north, who are not use to fried just about anything, who thinks that there needs to be a specific variety of tomato to make a fried green tomato.
It was about the time that that I had an over-abundance of tomatoes growing in my garden with the threat of an oncoming frost alert that I discovered that green tomatoes do have a use.
Fried or Baked Green Tomatoes are made with tomatoes that are green.
By green, I mean tomatoes that are not yet ripened.
Green unripened tomatoes are hard, as in not soft and juicy, which makes them the perfect candidate for a baked or fried food.
What kind of tomato should you use to make Fried or Baked Green Tomatoes?
This is a personal choice. For me, it has to do with the green tomatoes that I have on hand. I grow Roma tomatoes. I love the taste of Roma tomatoes and I use them in just about anything that I make that calls for a tomato.
Baked or fried?
You can make this baked or fried. I have even made these on the grill. Some folks enjoy the taste of fried green tomato while others enjoy the ‘healthier’ idea of a baked tomato.
What you will need to make this.
- 4-6 green tomatoes, depending on size.
- Corn meal- 1/2 cup (can use 1 cup of corn meal and omit the flour)
- Flour AP- 1/2 cup (can use 1 cup of flour and omit corn meal)
- Seasonings to taste- such as salt, pepper, garlic salt, salt-free alternatives etc.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil- can use virgin or alternative.
How to make Fried or Baked Green Tomatoes
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Slice your tomatoes into thin slices (about 1/2″).
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together your corn meal, flour, and seasonings.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper and place a nonstick prepared rack on top of it.
- Alternatively, you can prep the pan for nonstick and not use a rack or parchment.
- Drizzle a bit of oil over each tomato slice- do not drench. If not using a rack, simply drizzle the oil on the pan and not on the tomatoes.
- Dip each tomato slice into the dry mix and then place them on your rack or on the pan if not using a rack.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flip over your slices, bake for another 20 minutes or until brown.