This seems like the time of the year to start thinking about soups.
Pretty much anything that has to do with a tortilla is a hit in my house as is chicken tortilla soup.
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken tortilla soup is kind of like a marriage of the most popular soup and one of the most popular trends in food.
Who doesn’t love a bowl of chicken soup?
Almost every mother out there has suggested to her loved once suffering with a cold that they enjoy some chicken noodle soup. Chicken noodle soup is that soup that has been loved through the generations.
Tortilla’s seem to have taken over our palettes as well.
We enjoy our tortilla’s as part of some of our favorite foods such as tacos and burritos. I toast up tortillas in my oven or grill to make a crunch snack for my family.
It just seems as if the marriage of chicken soup and tortillas was inevitable to some extent.
I like to make this soup as easy to make as possible.
Sure, I could boil down a chicken and do everything that my grandmother probably did to make a genuine homemade soup. I only wish that I had the time to do all this to make that perfect soup. You are welcome to make this soup the long way like grandma probably did. I am going to use a few cheats. Thank goodness for pre-made items such as chicken broth.
You can also use a cheat when it comes to the chicken
Slicing up your own chicken breasts is the homemade way to do this. You could also use pre-sliced chicken breast to make this a quicker recipe to make. Or, you could even omit the actual chicken chunks.
There are certain optional items in this recipe that can make or break your chicken tortilla soup, depending on what you enjoy.
Some folks like corn, peppers, and hominy, for example. These are items that seem to be pretty standard in a chicken tortilla soup. These items may be a hard sell to other folks.
What do you serve your chicken tortilla soup with?
If you are adding chicken, corn, etc. then your soup can really pass as a meal. All that you really need to serve with your soup are tortillas. You can serve those tortilla’s cut up or your can use a bag of tortilla chips instead. If this soup is thick enough, some folks may even enjoy it as a kind of dip for those tortilla chips and sliced tortillas.
What you will need to make this Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe.
- Chicken- 2 breasts that have been cooked and chopped up. Can use pre-made store-bought chicken slices.
- Oil- I use extra virgin olive oil- 2 tablespoons
- Onion- 1 small chopped
- Garlic- 2 cloves minced or chopped small (your preference)
- Taco or chili powder- 2 tablespoons
- Chicken broth- can use homemade or a premade. I’ve even used bullion cubes. Total=6 cups (includes water if needed to make your broth as directed)
- Crushed tomatoes- 1 14.5 ounce can (I’ve used chopped fresh Roma from my garden as well)
- Tortilla- 1 8″ sliced, can use chips
- Corn kernels- 1 cup
- Hominy (white) 1 cup
- Black beans- rinsed/drained – 1 cup
- Peppers- your choice, such a jalapenos,
- Seasonings to taste, such as pepper.
- Cilantro- chipped for an accent on top
OPTIONAL ITEMS- use if wanted…
How to make this Chicken Tortilla Recipe
- Heat your oil in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add your garlic and onion to the stockpot and saute for a couple of minutes until soft.
- Stir in your taco/chili powder, broth, and crushed tomatoes, bringing this to a boil.
- Now stir in your chicken, and and of the optional items listed above except for your cilantro.
- Allow this to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla and cilantro on top. Can add other items such as cheese as well.