These Air Fried and Low Carb Zucchini Fries are so delicious!
I was pleasantly surprised with how these turned out!
Air Fried and Low Carb Zucchini Fries
Just before my son moved out, I purchased an air fryer.
At first I used it to make all the things that he wanted to eat. “All the things” was essentially chicken. Not that the chicken came out bad. The chicken was actually juicy and plump. You can see the chicken here.
Just after he moved out, me and my fryer moved on to other things.
It was the abundance of zucchini in my garden that inspired me to make some zucchini fries. I also make low carb zucchini chips. This is really a very similar recipe, and another way to cook zucchini.
Making this recipe is rather simple.
As I have mentioned, this recipe is for “Air Fried and Low Carb Zucchini Fries” rather than fried. However, there are two methods that you can use to bake this with. Cooking with an air fryer is a quick and easy method of making this recipe. I have found that Amazon has air fryers at good prices. You could also bake these in the oven.
Also, you will need Carbalose flour.
Carbalose flour is a low carb flour. I use it a lot in my recipes. You can find Carbalose on Amazon. . I use Carbalose flour as a wheat flour substitute because behaves like wheat flour, yet it lacks most non-fiber carbohydrates.Carbalose contains 80% less carbs than regular flour.
To slice the zucchini you will need to first cut off the ends.
Cut off about 1/2″ of the ends or enough to eliminate the curved edges. Then slice the zucchini in half and then sliced each half in half. From there, you will be able to slice your zucchini into fries. Simply cut each into 1/2″ width and no longer than 3″ long. Depending on the size of your zucchini, you will end up with 12-18 fries in total. Then, blot the zucchini with a paper town and allow to sit in order to get rid of any excess moisture.
The Recipe for Air Fried and Low Carb Zucchini Fries
What you will need to make this.
- Zucchini- 1 sliced into ‘fries’ (see post for prep).
- Olive Oil- 2 tablespoons.
- Carbalose flour alternative- 1/2 cup (see post)
- Garlic seasoning- 1-2 teaspoons -I use garlic flakes or a seasoning that has garlic flakes in it.
How to make this.
- Prepare the zucchini as directed in the post above. If using an oven for baking rather than an air fryer, prep a large sheet pan for nonstick- aluminum foil+ olive oil spray is one way to do this. Preheat you oven for 400. If using an air fryer, prep that for 400 as designated by the manual.
- You will need two shallow bowls. In the first shallow bowl, place your olive oil. In the second shallow bowl, mix together your seasoning, Carbalose, and seasonings.
- If using an air fryer, prep a baking sheet or other flat surface to be used as a holding center for the zucchini before it goes into the fryer.
- Start by dredging each individual piece of zucchini first through the shallow bowl with the oil and then through the shallow bowl with the flour and seasoning. Do this to each piece of zucchini one at a time. After dredging each individual piece, place it onto the baking sheet that you are using and allow it to wait while you continue to work with the other pieces.
- If using an air fryer, transfer the zucchini to the air fryer, Place it into the basket in at most two layers.
- Both methods, (oven or air fryer)bake for 10-12 minutes while flipping them over half way through baking.Chances are that you will need to do two batches in the air fryer to avoid overlapping the zucchini fries.
- Remove from the oven/fryer and allow to cool on a baking rack.