4 Ingredient Chicken Cacciatore
Chicken Cacciatore is actually based upon ‘hunting’ without much success.
Apparently, if there was nothing brought home from a hunting trip, there would always be a chicken to eat. Hence, the ‘Cacciatore’ which actually means “hunter” in Italian.
The typical Chicken Cacciatore is a recipe that features chicken thighs with the skin left on.
This chicken is usually cooked in a tomato based sauce. The sauce usually also has other vegetables in it, such as peppers. Being an Italian inspired recipe, it is often served over a cooked pasta- such as fettuccine.
Just like with my other recipes, I like to mix things up a bit.
I certainly can respect the roots of this recipe and the need to stick to traditions- especially in a recipe.
However, sometimes I also like to make things a bit skinny. By ‘skinny’, I meant cut out some of the calories when I can do so. I like to cut those calories with as little effect on taste as possible.
When it comes to chicken, that often means going skinless. This chicken recipe can be made with or without the skin however, it is intended to yield a tender chicken result. One way to get a tender chicken result would be to cook it with the skin on and remove it before eating. Also, I am not a fan of chicken thighs and will use chicken breasts as a result.
I also have a few similar chicken recipes that you may also be interested in.
I recently an easy Mediterranean Chicken recipe. One of my favorite ways to prepare chicken in in my air fryer where I can make a low carb and air fried chicken. If you do not have an air fryer ( you can find a deal on air fryers here), I also have a low carb baked chicken recipe as well.
The recipe for 4 Ingredient Chicken Cacciatore
As promised, this chicken recipe has only four ingredients.
You could also serve this chicken on a low carb pasta to make it more authentic. I like to use the low carb fettuccine with this recipe. By the way, you do not have to limit this recipe to four ingredients. I do offer many options for other ingredients below in the recipe.
What you need to make this recipe.
- Chicken- 4 thighs are the standard in this recipe. I prefer breasts. Keep this skin on your chicken for cooking even if you are planning to eat it without the skin (see post for details).
- Olive Oil- 2 tablespoons.
- Tomato Sauce- 1 8-9 ounce can.
- Diced Tomatoes- 1 can 14-15 ounces, not drained.
Yes, you can use any or all of these optional items.
- Seasonings such as salt and/or pepper and/or anything Italian.
- Garlic- 2 cloves minced.
- Onion- 1 small chopped or minced.
- Hot sauce as desired- my son likes this one.
- Flour up to 1/2 cup to thicken sauce if desired.
- Mushrooms, peppers or other vegetables- 1/2 cup chopped.
- One way to get around using optional items is to use tomato sauce or diced tomatoes that already have the seasoning added to it! My favorite cheat for this recipe.
How to make 4 Ingredient Chicken Cacciatore
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook your chicken in the oil for 18-20 minutes or until chicken begins to brown. Remove the liquid from the skillet and replace the chicken.
- Now stir in your remaining ingredients and bring the skillet to a boil.
- Cover the skillet and turn the heat down to simmer until the chicken is fully cooked- about 35-40 minutes depending on the cut of your chicken.
- Serve this over pasta such as the low carb pasta described in the post.