I remember the day that I found out that there were no carbs in Rum.
I'm not a big rum drinker but, I do like to make an occasional dessert with it.
Cocoa Rum Brownies- Make These With No Added Sugar!
When I was on a carbohydrate conscious diet, I learned how to experiment with recipes.
Surprisingly, I was quite successful at both the diet and with my recipes. I still like to bake a lot of those recipes from that diet era of my life. If the recipe includes chocolate, I am all over it.
The surprising fact about rum is that it is carb-free.
I was shocked to learn this as I assumed that anything made with sugar cane byproducts must be loaded with sugar and carbs.
I learned that the sugar that we thought would be in the rum actually doesn't pass through the distillation process. Sweet! Right?
Cocoa is naturally unsweetened.
Any sweetness that comes in your hot cocoa etc has been added to it.For this reason, anyone on a low sugar or low carb diet can embrace cocoa when they bake. At least I do. YAY!
What kind of rum should you use for this cocoa rum brownie recipe?
Dark rum seems to be the rum of choice for most baking recipes. The dark rum is usually the more flavorable rum and thus, the rum taste in your brownies will be more profound than if you had used a light rum. When I bake, I like to use a cheap booze in general. Why spend big bucks on alcohol that will be burned off anyway?
You can cheat on this recipe!
If you bypass the dry ingredients and use a baking mix instead, brownie baking mix, you can make this recipe a lot faster. I won't tell anyone if you do this. I usually make things like this the long way because I have cocoa on hand and rarely think in advance to buy the mixes. Baking anything chocolate inspired is often a spur of the moment thing around here.
The Recipe for Delicious Killer Cocoa Rum Brownies
Make this sugar free by using substitutes as indicated.
This recipe is for the most delicious cocoa rum brownies you could ever taste. Try this recipe sugar free!
What you will need to make Delicious Killer Cocoa Rum Brownies
- Butter or Coconut Oil (my go-to these days)- 1 cup melted (tip: coconut oil melts at a higher temperature making it easy to melt without a microwave!)
- Sugar or alternative- 2 cups or equivalent
- Unsweetened Cocoa- 3/4 cup
- Eggs- 4
- Vanilla Extract-1/2 tablespoons
- AP Flour- 1 cup
- Baking Powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt- dash
- Rum- 1/4 cup
- Optional- bittersweet chocolate- 4 squares or 1 ounce- can use chocolate chips (I use sugar free chocolate chips)
- Optional- chopped nuts 1 cup
How to make this Delicious Killer Cocoa Rum Brownies
- Preheat your oven to 350 and prep your pan for nonstick
- In a large mixing bowl, combine together your dry ingredients. If you are using my 'cheat', just empty it into the bowl and break up the lumps.
- In another bowl,combine your butter/oil, vanilla and then beat in your eggs.
- Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients bowl and then mix in your remaining ingredients.
- Spread the batter into your prepped pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool prior to cutting.