If you are looking for something easy to make, check out these Easy BLT Lettuce Wraps
You can ditch the bread and still get a great meal!
Easy BLT Lettuce Wraps
Lettuce could be the next best thing to using actual bread.
While it may not make for a sandwich, switching out bread for lettuce does make for something yummy. If you are like me, you can appreciate the carbohydrates and calories that are saved by doing so.
Lettuce wraps of any kind really can be an easy thing to make.
However, you could make them a big deal as well. It all depends on what you put into them. I know that I have seen all kinds of ‘copycat’ lettuce wrap recipes for a certain popular chicken dish served at a famous restaurant. That is not what this is. This is more like a copycat version of a favorite sandwich that has been around for almost as long as the sandwich has been around.
You can make this even easier to make by using a simple shortcut.
You may be asking, what could be easier to make than a sandwich with three ingredients? It is true, that the basis of a BLT is indeed bacon, lettuce and tomatoes. However, you may also add a bit of mayonnaise, or something else that is wet, to the mix. Since I do not have cooked bacon sitting around, I use bacon bit instead. Bacon bits actually add a bit more substance to the wrap than bacon strips. Thus, you get a better wrap.
The other trick to making this a success is to use the right kind of lettuce for your wrap.
Not all kinds of lettuce are the same. To use a lettuce for the wrap you will need something that is larger and more sturdy in order to hold on to the contents. I used large romaine leaves because I like the color and I always have romaine stalks on hand.
Other viable lettuce varieties that you can use include:
- Large iceberg lettuce
- Butter lettuce
- Bibb Lettuce
The Recipe for Easy BLT Lettuce Wraps
You will need to wash your lettuce leaves before you can make this. I use a salad spinner to get my leaves dry enough to use quickly when I make anything with lettuce. I use this salad spinner that I found on Amazon- it is easy to use- I got a second one to use in my restaurant as well.
What you will need to make about 2 Easy BLT Lettuce Wraps
(may vary depending on size of your lettuce leaves)
- Lettuce Leaves- see post for recommended lettuce, 1 per sandwich
- Tomatoes-Sliced or chopped. 1 small (like Roma) per sandwich or 1/4 cup (per sandwich) of other kind of tomato.
- Bacon- 2 strips or 2 tablespoons of bacon bits per sandwich.
- Optional- mayonnaise, ranch style salad dressing, or blue cheese salad dressing.
How to make this
- Prep your lettuce leaves my washing and drying them.
- Slice or dice the tomatoes if not already done.
- Lay one leaf of lettuce flat on cutting board or plate. Layer your largest ingredient on top of the lettuce first and then the smallest over that. Place this ingredient between the center of the lettuce leaf and the shortest side (if the leaf seems to be symmetrical, simply choose a side). For example, sliced tomatoes go first and then bacon bits over that.
- The optional ingredient can go over the the ingredients prior to wrapping or can be used as a dip.
- Starting at the smallest side of the lettuce, roll or wrap the lettuce, tucking in the ingredients as you go.