Add some spice to your soup bowl with this recipe for Simple Chicken Tortilla Soup
Simple Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
I love the idea of this recipe.
My friend says that this soup is kind of like a marriage of the most popular soup and the most popular trends in food. I would have to agree because I like both ideas a lot.
People have loved their chicken soup for years.
Who doesn’t love a bowl of chicken soup?
Moms, like my mom, have served this to us for most anything that seems to ail us. This is really a popular thing to serve.
I like to make this recipe as easy to make as possible.
Luckily, there are cheats for just about everything these days. This is no exception.
While grandmothers took on the painstaking task of making soup from scratch, we have options, such as store-bought broth, these days.
There is another great cheat as well.
We can also use chicken strips from a freezer bag if we do not want to cut up the breasts. Thus, we can enjoy the efficiency of this recipe if we want to.
- Chicken- 2 breasts that have been cooked and chopped up. Can use pre-made store-bought chicken slices.
- Oil- I use extra virgin olive oil- 2 tablespoons
- Onion- 1 small chopped
- Garlic- 2 cloves chopped small
- Taco or chili powder- 2 tablespoons
- Chicken broth- can use homemade or a premade. I’ve even used bullion cubes. Total=6 cups includes water if needed to make your broth as directed
- Crushed tomatoes- 1 14.5 ounce can I’ve used chopped fresh Roma from my garden as well Tortilla Chips to garnish
- OPTIONAL ITEMS- use if wanted… Corn kernels- 1 cup Hominy white 1 cup Black beans- rinsed/drained – 1 cup Peppers- your choice, such a jalapenos, Seasonings to taste, such as pepper. Cilantro- chipped for an accent on top
Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat.
Add the garlic and onion to the stockpot and saute for a couple of minutes until soft.
Stir in the taco/chili powder, broth, and crushed tomatoes, bringing this to a boil.
Now stir in the chicken, and and of the optional items listed above except for your cilantro. Allow this to simmer for about 20 minutes. Serve with tortilla and cilantro on top. Can add other items such as cheese as well
I serve this with chips and salsa on this side.
Rather than making this recipe as directed, feel free to add some of the optional items.
OPTIONAL ITEMS that you may use include:
- Corn kernels- 1 cup
- Hominy (white) 1 cup
- Black beans- rinsed/drained – 1 cu
- p Peppers- your choice, such a jalapenos,
- Seasonings to taste, such as pepper.
- Cilantro- chipped for an accent on top
I always have cilantro on hand. Consequently, cilantro is my choice of optional ingredients to add. However, I also like to add additional seasonings.
This soup can be a meal in itself. You can also enjoy this as part of a meal.