I’m kicking off my “Soup Week” with this Simple Corn Chowder Soup.
I eat a lot of soup- especially during this time of the year.
Simple Corn Chowder Soup
I am usually a broth kind of soup person.
Broth soup is so easy to pair with other foods such as sandwiches or salads. These soups also make for a great appetizer. Broth just fills that need for something while you enjoy something that finishes the meal.
However, when it comes to eating soup as a meal, I am all over a creamy soup such as this one.
This soup is a hearty and thus, a filling kind of soup. This time of the year, I am always looking for something like this to keep me full for a while. This soup will also warm you up.
This is a pretty impressive soup for something that I call “simple”.
It is the taste of this soup and all of the great ingredients in it that make it so impressive. However, it is the available “cheat” ingredients that make it so simple. Simple is a good thing in my world.
Obviously, you will need corn for this recipe.
You will need two cans of corn- one creamed one whole. Also, you will need potatoes. If you are wanting a potato cheat, you could use canned potatoes if needed. You can find canned potatoes easily online. The other ingredients that you will need are bacon (can use bacon bits), a chopped onion, and broth (I use bullion cubes).
This is the perfect soup to make in a slow cooker.
While the directions in this recipe use a stove top, I also like the idea of using a slow cooker to make this soup. Simply place everything, except for the flour and milk, into the slow cooker and set on high for three and a half hours. Then mix together the milk and flour and stir them into the soup and cook for another half hour. Check out these deals on slow cookers to get yourself started on this recipe.
The recipe for Simple Corn Chowder Soup
Check out these soup recipes while you are here. I have a low carb Panera copycat broccoli cheddar soup. There is also a simple chicken tortilla soup. Lastly, all this week I will be featuring other great soup recipes.
What you will need to make this recipe.
- Onion- 1 small chopped.
- Butter- 1 tablespoon.
- Canned Whole Corn- 1 can (15-16 ounces).
- Canned Cream Corn- 1 can (14-15 ounces).
- Chicken Broth- 4 cups (cheat- cups of water + 4 bullion cubes).
- Potatoes- chopped 1 lb (can use canned- red, white, or Idaho work well).
- Milk/ Half and Half/Greek Yogurt (click here to find out how to use Greek Yogurt).– 2 cups
- Flour (AP)- 2 tablespoons.
- Seasonings to taste- salt, pepper etc.
- Chopped bacon or bacon bits- 1/2 to 1 cup as needed for topping.
How to make this soup.
See post for directions on how to make this in a slow cooker.
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook your chopped onion in the butter until the onion becomes translucent (about 8 minutes).
- To the pot, add the corn, broth, and potatoes. Bring this to a boil. Once it boils, turn the heat down and allow to simmer until the potatoes are soft (about 15 minutes).
- Stir in the remaining ingredients to the simmering pot and cook for another thirty minutes, stirring as needed.
- Season as need prior to serving.