I am really enjoying the fresh fruit that it is coming into season right now.
I have been especially enjoying the fresh fruit in my salads.
Blueberry and Mango Kale Salad
Have you ever tried something on a whim and that whim worked out well for you?
That is what happened to me when I decided to add some mango to my kale salad.
I had just returned home from the grocery store, with some fabulous produce, and I could not help myself.
I started enjoying kale a few years ago.
Kale is that cabbage that is loaded with nutrients especially Vitamin C Vitamin K and Vitamin A.
Scientists have linked Kale to lowering cholesterol and fighting cancer. I got on the kale train because I had just purchased my first Vitamix blender to make smoothies with. Just about everyone suggested using Kale in those smoothies.
I still enjoy an occasional smoothie but, these days I am a big salad person.
I enjoy my Kale in salads. Usually, I will mix my Kale with spinach and other green leafy vegetables. This time, I thought that I would enjoy my Kale with some mango and blueberries.
Mangoes and blueberries are also being hailed as healthy foods to eat.
One of the benefits of eating mango, according to the experts, includes prevention of cancer as mangoes contain antioxidant compounds.
Blueberries are said to be known for warding off heart disease.
So it's kind of a healthy no-brainer to have a salad that has kale, blueberries, and mango in it.
What kind of a dressing goes best with a salad that contains mango, blueberries and kale?
I like a olive oil style dressing as it is lighter than a creamy dressing on the kale leaves. This kind of a dressing seems to let the color and taste of the kale itself stand out rather than get drowned in a bunch of dressing.
I'm using honey and lemon in my dressing. I like the way that these two tastes play against one another to make the perfect complement to a salad that is made with kale, mango, and blueberries.
To make the Honey Lemon Dressing
Whisk together the following ingredients:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil- 1/4 cup
- Juice from one lemon- about 2 1/2 tablespoons worth
- Honey- can use sugar free honey 1 tablespoon
- Salt and seasonings optional and to taste.
To make the salad:
You will need:
- 1 bunch of kale chopped and with stems cut off. I prefer the baby kale.
- 1 mango cubed
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- Optional-sliced or slivered almonds
- Optional- 2 tablespoons of shredded or flaked coconut
- Optional- 1/2 cubed avocado
To make this:
- In a large salad bowl, toss your kale with 1/2 of your prepared dressing.
- Gently fold in your remaining ingredients.
- Drizzle your remaining dressing over the salad and serve.