Low Carb Air Fried Chicken
Ask anyone who is watching their carbs and calories and they will tell you about the food that they miss.
We love our fried chicken. However, fried chicken is not the most diet-friendly food item out there. It does after-all involve frying in oil thus, overtaking much of the benefits of eating chicken. We can still enjoy a different kind of 'fried chicken'
Air fryers are an efficient way to fake the taste of about anything that can be fried.
I got an air fryer after my, forever watching his diet, son requested fried chicken for his birthday. It was his one indulgent food that he missed most as he is somewhat of a body builder and thus, has to avoid the world of fried anything. So, I got an air fryer and made him his chicken. By the way, I was thrilled to find plenty of easy to use air fryers at good prices on Amazon. I love that you do not have to spend a lot of money on these to get good results.
Making this chicken low carb is easier than you may think.
A while back I posted a recipe for baked fried chicken . That recipe is the basis for this one however, this recipe has a few tweaks to it in order to adjust for the air frying, and of course, my son. You can easily follow that recipe as well.
Hey! This recipe has been recently updated!
You've got two option to make this recipe with!
This is the original method of making this recipe. Please scroll down to see the updated method. You are welcome to use either method to make this recipe.
Fried chicken is known for it's breading.
In order to 'fake' that breading I am using a combination of low carb flour (Carbalose) and an old fashion hack.
Carbalose is a lower carb flour that can be used. This Carbalose flour is used as a wheat flour substitute because it behaves like wheat flour. It is made mostly from wheat, yet, lacks most non-fiber carbohydrates. When Carbalose is used in place of wheat flour it adds 80% less carbs. I use Carbalose often when I bake.
The good old fashion hack that I use is a familiar one.
I used good old fashion Shake and Bake that has been mixed with my Carbalose. We add Shake and Bake to this recipe because it has the seasonings already added to it. Because we are combining it with the Carbalose, we are in a sense, thinning out the carbs that comes with the Shake and Bake. Once serving of Shake and Bake has about 5 neg grams of carbs in it before we thin it out. You can find Shake and Bake on Amazon. They have a variety of flavors beyond the original that I used. Be sure to check the carbs before selecting the one that is best for you.
UPDATE!! Here is an update to this recipe!!!
I have found low carb bread crumbs online!
This revelation has totally rocked my world and thus, this recipe...
You can find the low carb breadcrumbs here.
Thus, you can either use a combination of the Carbalose + Shake and Bake or the bread crumb method.
I have other chicken recipes that you may be interested in.
There is a Low Carb Chicken Alfredo recipe which has been popular. Also popular, my 4 Ingredient Chicken Cacciatore and my Easy Mediterranean Style Chicken recipes.
As far as the chicken goes, I am also using chicken tenderloins for this recipe
Folks who use an air fryer learn early on that you cannot overload the basket in it. Overloading the basket will impede the flow of air and thus, delay the baking process. When you are are dealing with chicken, it is important that it is well cooked. As a consequence, if you are wanting to cook more than 6-8 tenderloins at a time. If you are using chicken breasts, two - three breasts at a time. Check your local store to see what is available for you.
Flipping the chicken over mid way through baking is also essential.
You will need to open the fryer basket and flip the chicken over to let it bake evenly. If your chicken is over-lapping, you will need to rearrange it as well at this time. We need to flip the chicken in order to allow it to bake evenly. Also, we need to not over-lap the chicken for the same reason. Place the chicken flat in the basket without over-lapping them.
The recipe for Low Carb Air Fried Chicken
What you will need to make Low Carb Air Fried Chicken.
- Low Carb Bread Crumbs- 3/4 cup, see post for details. Optionally, you can combine original Shake and Bake with Carbalose low carb flour (add the flour to the mix to make 3/4 cup).
- Oil, such as vegetable- 1/4 cup
- Egg- 1 beaten
- Chicken tenderloins- 6-8, rinsed .
- Optional- Parmesan cheese, seasonings as desired.
How to make Low Carb Air Fried Chicken.
- Preheat your air fryer to 380f
- Prep a baking sheet or other flat are with parchment paper. This will be used as a holding area for the chicken before it is place into the air fryer.
- Combine together your Carbalose and Shake and Bake and then add them to the bag. This bag is provided with the Shake and Bake. You can optionally use a zip top gallon bag instead. Add the oil to the bag. Set this bag aside.
- Optionally, if using the bread crumb method, simply use a zip top bag and combine the crumbs (be sure to check out the bread crumb package for any preparation instructions first) with the oil.
- Place the beaten egg in a shallow bowl that will be used for dredging.
- Work with one piece of chicken at a time. For each piece of chicken, first dredge it through the beaten egg and then place it into the bag. Close the top of the bag and shake the piece of chicken in order to cover it well with the contents of the bag. Remove the chicken from the bag and place it on your prepared holding area. While the chicken in the holding area, you can sprinkle it with any optional additional seasonings and cheese.
- I always prep my air fryer basket with some nonstick spray before I make something like this in it. Place the chicken into the air fryer without over-lapping the pieces. You may need to do more than one batch of chicken.
- Bake your chicken for 7 minutes flip it over and then bake for another 6 minutes. When the fryer has finished cooking, check the chicken to assure it has fully cooked. If it has not then resume cooking in increments of 2 minutes until done, flipping between cooking. Cooking time really depends a lot on the size of the chicken thus, it can vary.
- Serve with your favorite condiments or dips.