Low Carb Sugar Free Lemon Cheesecake
Because, when it comes to cheesecake, I like the idea of something that is low carb.
There are two methods of making cheesecake. The easy way is to use a no-bake recipe. I have actually mastered the no-bake recipe and will share it with you soon. However, this recipe is for a baked cheesecake.
Making a baked cheesecake is a whole different thing from a non-baked one.
Yes, both cakes have cheese- hence they are both a "cheesecake". However, a baked cheesecake is more of an art when compared to a hack-inspired no-bake style cake. I have nothing against the no-bake cheese cake as I make these more than the other kind, by the way.
This recipe is actually quite simple.
By simple, I mean that these ingredient list is quite small and easy. To start, while most cheesecakes have a crust, you could opt to not use one. However, if you would like to have a crust, consider checking out my Sugar Free Graham Cracker recipe . To convert this to a crust simply make the graham crackers as desired in the recipe. Crush up the crackers (1 1/2 cups crushed) and combine with 1/3 cup of sugar alternative and 6 tablespoons of melted butter and press it into your pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 (I will be featuring this recipe in the near future). I also have a low carb pie crust recipe if you want to go that route.
I know that making your own crust can be a lot of work that you may not have time for.
Certainly, I can relate to that. However, you can find a variety of pre-made crusts online- even gluten free. You can also find some nice dishes and pans to bake your pie online. I like these pans with the removable sides- which seem to make life easier.
The Recipe for Low Carb Sugar Free Lemon Cheesecake
What you need to make this recipe.
- Prepare a crust as indicated in the post above. Crust does not need to cool before adding the cheesecake ingredients.
- Cream Cheese- 24 ounces (3- 8 ounce packages for example), can use lower fat substitute.
- Greek Yogurt- 1 cup (can omit this by adding an additional 8 ounces of cream cheese instead).
- Sugar Alternative- Equivalent to 1 cup of sugar. I prefer granular alternative in this recipe.
- Lemon Extract- 2 teaspoons. You can find lemon extract online here.
- Eggs- 4.
- Optional- one lemon zested.
How to make a Low Carb Sugar Free Lemon Cheesecake
- Prepare the crust as described by the instructions. See post for alternatives. Set the oven to 350.
- In a mixing bowl on a medium setting, mix together the cream cheese, yogurt, sugar alternative and lemon extract. If using zest, add it now (can divide and save some for topping too).
- When the items in the mixing bowl are mixed, blended in the eggs, one egg at a time, blending between additions.
- Add the items from the mixing bowl to the pie crust and bake for 55 minutes.
- When done baking the center of the cheesecake will not be fully set however, remove it from the oven anyway. Do not over-bake your cheesecake. Run a knife around the edges to loosen the cake from the pan or if you are using a pan with removable edges, you can loosen them here.
- Cover the cake with plastic and place in the refrigerator for at least four hours. This should set the center of the cake.