This Sugar Free Boston Cream Pie Cake recipe is actually a lot easier than you may think to make.
I like that this can actually be made without adding a bunch of sugar to it as well.
Sugar Free Boston Cream Pie Cake
I am not really sure how Boston Cream Pie got it's name.
Perhaps it got it's name from because it is a rendition of an actual pie that is famous in the city of Boston.
Did you try my Sugar Free No Bake Pudding Cheesecake recipe?
That recipe, which also uses pudding as an ingredient, is probably the easiest ever sugar free cheesecake recipe that you can make.
This recipe is a for a cake that has a filling that reminds us of cheesecake in its flavor.
If you are looking for more sugar free and keto diet friendly cheesecake recipes, I have you covered! See my listing here for 10 Cheesecake Recipes that are reader approved!
People ask what does Boston cream taste like.
The cream itself is meant to be vanilla custard.
However, we are using a cheat that also allows us to make this recipe as sugar free as possible.
The creamy center in this sugar free Boston Cream Cake is vanilla flavored.
That vanilla cream is simply sugar free vanilla pudding.
We will 'sandwich' the cream pudding between two layers of cake.
Here are some tips for making layered cake.
This recipe calls for two 9 inch cakes. Most prepackaged cake mixes can do this however, if you want a larger cake or have any doubts, use more than one cake mix.
Here are some more helpful tips.
- I suggest that you use a double prep method for prepping your cake pans. This means both greasing and flouring the cake pans before adding the cake batter.
- It is best to allow the cakes to cool completely before assembling this cake. Doing so will help keep the center from melting on you.
- Personalize your cake. You can use a flavored pudding other than vanilla, two separate flavors of cake, or even add some sugar free sprinkles to the top of your cake.
This is an easy Boston cream cake.
To make this cake you will need sugar free yellow cake mix.
You can make your own sugar free yellow cake mix using this recipe or you can purchase yellow cake mix online.
Here is what else you will need to make this cake.
You will also need sugar free vanilla pudding (find it online here) , sugar free powdered sugar (make your own) or buy it here.
This could be the best Boston Cream Pie Recipe using yellow cake mix and not adding sugar.
For the success of your cake simple follow the steps to first make this cakes, make the filling, assemble the cakes, and then adding the chocolate ganache.
Allowing the cakes to cool before layering with the pudding is important as well.
Here are some similar recipes that you may also like.
- The Best Sugar Free Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- Sugar Free Kool Aid Meringue Cookies.
- How to Make Almond Flour Brownies.
- Vegan and Keto Sugar Free Peanut Butter Cookies.
- Fabulous Sugar Free Fudge.
- Sugar Free German Chocolate Cookies.
- Cheese Cake Recipes Made Without Sugar.
Keep up to date with my recipes
You can check out my guide on baking with sugar alternatives on Amazon
I have some great tips on which alternatives may work in a recipe such as this one.
Be sure to follow me on facebook and subscribe to my recipes via email to keep up to date as well.
The recipe for Sugar Free Boston Cream Pie Cake
What you will need to make this Sugar Free Boston Cream Pie Cake
- Sugar Free Yellow Cake - 1 sugar free yellow cake mix using this recipe or you can purchase yellow cake mix online. . Use two boxes if your chosen mix cannot make two 9" cakes which will serve as the layers.
- Sugar Free Vanilla Instant Pudding- 2 .8- 1 ounce package (about 8 servings total- package size varies depending on manufacturer).
- Cold Milk (or Greek Yogurt or cream or a combination to reach the total) - 1 ½ cups. I have not tried using a almond milk or similar milk in this recipe.
- Chocolate Glaze using this recipe OR
- Sugar Free Chocolate Chips- 2 ounces (¼th or an 8 ounce bag).
- Butter- 2 tablespoons.
- Sugar Free Powdered Sugar- 1 Cup using this recipe or buy sugar free powdered sugar here.
- Vanilla Extract- 1 teaspoon.
- Hot Water- 2 ½ tablespoons
How to make this Sugar Free Cake Mix Boston Cream Pie Recipe
There are three parts to this recipe; the cake, the filling, and the topping.
- Start by making the yellow cake mix as per the direction on the box or in the recipe. Use two (8-9") round cake pans. I mentioned earlier that it is important that you double prep the pans to assure that the cakes do not stick.
- To make the center pudding filling, whip together the milk (or substitute of choice) and instant pudding mix. Whip this until somewhat fluffy- about 2-3 minutes total. Then allow this to sit for a few minutes for some of the air to escape. Cover and refrigerate. This can be done while the cakes are baking.
- For the glaze, either use the recipe Chocolate Glaze Using this recipe or in a microwave safe cup, melt together the butter and chocolate chips and then stir in the remaining ingredients (powdered sugar, vanilla extract and hot water) until blended.
How to assemble this sugar free yellow cake mix Boston cream pie
- When the yellow cake has cooled and you are ready to assemble this cake. Tip-I find that using parchment paper makes this step easier as well as the clean up process. I place the bottom cake layer on the parchment paper and layer the remaining steps over this.
- Place the cake that you will use as the bottom on the parchment paper.
- Spread the pudding layer over the cake, leaving about ¼" to ½" from the edges to avoid too much of the pudding from flowing out.
- Gently place the top cake over the pudding layer.
- Slowly pour the chocolate glaze topping over the cake. Once the glaze has cooled, you can serve your cake!
The recipe card for Sugar Free Boston Cream Pie.
Sugar Free Boston Cream Pie Cake
- cake pans
- 1 Sugar Free Yellow Cake - see post for details
- 2 Boxes Sugar Free Vanilla Instant Pudding - see post for details.
- 1 ½ Cups Cold Milk
- 2 Ounces Sugar Free Chocolate Chips
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar Free Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 ½ Tbsp Hot Water
- Start by making the yellow cake mix as per the direction on the box or in the recipe.
- While the cake is baking, whip together the milk (or substitute of choice) and instant pudding mix. Whip this until somewhat fluffy- about 2-3 minutes total. Then allow this to sit for a few minutes for some of the air to escape. Cover and refrigerate.
- The glaze-in a microwave safe cup, melt together the butter and chocolate chips and then stir in the remaining ingredients (powdered sugar, vanilla extract and hot water) until blended. Set this aside.
- Place the cake that you will use as the bottom on the parchment paper. Spread the pudding layer over the cake, leaving about ¼" to ½" from the edges to avoid too much of the pudding from flowing out. Gently place the top cake over the pudding layer. Slowly pour the chocolate glaze topping over the cake. Once the glaze has cooled, you can serve your cake!
Please see recipe post for further details on this recipe.
Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that are used. See thesugarfreediva.com for details on this recipe.
*About Sugar Alternatives
Specific sugar alternatives are not given in the recipes presented on this site. Only suggestions are given as to the 'kind' of alternative to use. It is up to you to select the alternative to use that suits your needs best. If the recipe is heated or cooked, it is best to use an alternative that can be heated or cooked with for best results. This site does not endorse any specific ingredients,
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!
Thanks so much for visiting!
If you decide to make this recipe, please stop back and let me know how it turned out for you. Also, if you have any tips or tweaks to the recipe to share, please do so in the comment section below. My readers like to stop by periodically for updates on the recipes. Reading the comments below is helpful to these readers and hopefully to you too!!
Looking for a recipe that is not on my site?
Please let me know and I will work on getting that recipe for you.
Happy baking, eating, and enjoying life!
Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that are used.
Sugar Free Boston Cream Pie Cake, an easy dessert recipe idea that has no added sugar and is easy to make!
Please see recipe post for further details on this recipe.
You can see items that have been featured on my Sugar Free Sunday Spotlight here.