How to Make Sugar Free Royal Icing with Stevia
Decorating cookies can be done without adding a whole lot of sugar.
You probably already know about the sugar that is in the icing that is used. If you are like me than you may not be happy about all of the added sugar in icing. You can easily make a sugar free alternative like this one.
Decorating cookies is not just for the holiday season.
You and I know that it is during the holidays when many of us bake yummy cookies. We then take the time to decorate those cookies. However, decorating cookies during the holiday season is a tradition that many of us look forward to. When we find a sugar free way to decorate, we can still observe that tradition.
Stevia is a preferred sweetener for many people.
Because Stevia is a natural product than others, some people prefer baking with it. I like to bake with it as well. Stevia is a sweeter tasting product than the others. Thus, less of the Stevia is needed in a recipe than may be needed using other similar ingredients.
As I mentioned, Royal icing is a standard when it comes to cookie decorating.
When we make royal icing we are using a lot of sugar. This comes in the form of confectioners' sugar which has about 400 calories in a cup. That is a lot of calories, in addition to sugar, since we usually use more than one cup to make the icing.
We will need Meringue Powder for this recipe.
Using meringue powder is not something that we bake with a lot of in our standard baking. It is actually made from dried egg, Because it is made from dried egg whites, using meringue powder is a good substitute for us to use in royal icing.
You can purchase Meringue Powder on Amazon.
Other similar recipes that you may be interested in as well.
The recipe for How to Make Sugar Free Royal Icing with Stevia
We will be using a stevia baking blend product for this recipe. Because stevia is so much sweeter than sugar or the other alternatives out there, we need to use a blend to get to an amount that is usable as an icing. However, depending on which blend you are using, the result may not be a fully sugar free result. Hence, read the ingredients on the package to be sure about what you are using. You can find Truvia Baking Blend on Amazon. Amazon also has other brands of stevia baking blends as well.
What you will need to make this:
- Stevia Baking Blend product- 3 cups
- Cornstarch- 3 teaspoons
- Meringue Powder- 3 teaspoons
- Vanilla Extract- 1 tsp
- Water- 1/2 cup
How you can make this.
- Start by combining your Cornstarch with your Stevia. You can process them on high in a food processor or you can sift them if you have no processor. Our goal result should be something of a confectioners sugar consistency. Set this aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine together the water, vanilla and the Meringue powder. Beat this until peaks start to form. You will need a whisk attachment for best results.
- Once your peaks have started to form, you can switch to a beater attachment on your mixer. Add your dry ingredients from your first bowl to the mixing bowl. Mix until well blended.
If you want to thin this icing out you can simply add a teaspoon of water until desired consistency is achieved. To thicken it, you can add a bit more baking blend a teaspoon at a time.