15 3 4.8K 1
Nothing says ‘Comfort Food’ like this 4 Ingredient Tater Tot Casserole.
I wish that my mother had known this was a tater tot possibility when I was growing up.
4 Ingredient Tater Tot Casserole
Obviously, I have been visiting with a family member living in Minnesota.
They say that Minnesota is the tater tot capital of the world. I don’t know if that is 100% true but, for the purposes of this recipe, I will roll with it giving full credit to the Land of 10000 Lakes.
When I was a kid, tater tots were somewhat of a standard.
It was the one food that you could count on eating for lunch at school and then coming home to eat them again for dinner. I truly believe that my elementary school regarded tater tots as a vegetable. While the food group listing of tater tots may be negotiable, we can pretty much all agree that it is a comfort food or, something that comforts us as a fond memory from our childhood.
What is it about casseroles that people like so much?
In this case the popularity probably has a lot to do with the main ingredient- tater tots.
This recipe does remind me of a kind of nachos for tater tots. What it really also is can be the perfect thing to bring to a tailgate, party, or potluck because of the popularity of the ingredients. Well, that and the fact that it is so easy to make. Yay for easy right?
I’ve got other great comforting recipes that you may be interested in as well.
I have a great low carb macaroni and cheese recipe. Also popular are my air fried zucchini fries and my low carb copycat Red Lobster Biscuits.
While this is both sugar free and a comfort recipe, you can check out my guide on baking with sugar alternatives on Amazon
I have some great tips on which alternatives may work in a recipe such as this one.
The Recipe for 4 Ingredient Tater Tot Casserole
As mentioned, this recipe contains four ingredients.
- Tater Tots- 1 16 ounce bag frozen. If you can only find a 32 ounce bag, simply use half of the bag or double the rest of this recipe.
- Condensed Soup such as a cream chicken or mushroom- 1 can.
- Mixed Vegetables- 1 1/2 cups frozen. Can sub in or add to this recipe, cooked ground beef, chicken or turkey.
- Shredded cheese- 1 cup. Can be cheddar, colby jack or similar.
- Optional items- seasonings as desired, bacon bits, and/or if this seems thick- add 1/4 cup of milk or plain or Greek yogurt.
How to make 4 Ingredient Tater Tot Casserole
- Preheat your oven to 400 and prep a baking dish for nonstick.
- Place the veggies or subbed in item on the bottom of the dish.
- Pour the condensed soup over the veggies. If this seem too thick to the eye, blend in 1/4 cup of milk or yogurt. Do not add more than 1/4 of a cup.
- Now arrange the tater tots over the veggies and cover with the cheese. If adding bacon bits or seasonings, do so now.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until tater tots and cheese begin to brown.