If you were to ask for my opinion, I would say that this is the best time of the year for The Best Sugar Free Homemade Lemonade
I also like to think that I know my lemonade too.
The Best Sugar Free Homemade Lemonade
I have always been a fan of lemonade.
What I am not a fan of is lemonade that has a ton of sugar in it.
I just read that the average sugared lemonade can have about 30 grams of sugar in it. However, the average woman should only consume about 20 grams of sugar in a day. By the way, 20 grams of sugar is about 6 teaspoons.
We all know that lemons can taste a bit tart.
That should be no surprise to anyone. Thus, we need to add something sweet to counterbalance that tart lemon taste. Hence, the addition of sugar….or in my case..alternatives to sugar.
Lemons seem to be available year round for most of us.
Where I live, we have winter which means that we cannot grow our own lemons. However, lemons are always available in the produce department of my favorite grocery stores.
This recipe is for one half gallon of lemonade.
It seems like we either need a glass of the cold stuff or a large amount to share with others. Just as a reminder, there are 64 ounces in a half gallon, or four quarts. This should help you alter this recipe to your needs.
You will need a lemon squeezer to make this lemonade.
Since lemon squeezers are relatively cheap, it really isn’t worth all of the work to squeeze them by hand. A lemon squeezer can do a better job and quicker as well. You can find inexpensive lemon squeezers on Amazon.
You will also need your choice of sugar alternative.
Because many of us prefer one sweetener over an other, I will provide you with the amount you will need in relation to sugar. Thus, when you see the ‘equivalent’ next to sugar alternative in the recipe, that means that you will need to add the amount of your equivalent that equals that much sugar. While most choices are equal to sugar in amounts, this should be no big deal. As a result, you will have a really great tasting sugar free lemonade in addition to enjoying something cold to drink
The recipe for The Best Sugar Free Homemade Lemonade
What you will need to make this recipe.
- Sugar Alternative- 1/2 cup equivalent to sugar
- Lemon Juice- fresh squeezed is best as bottled lemon juice may have sugar added to it- you will need a cup in total. The average lemon yields about 3-4 tablespoons of juice. A cup holds 16 tablespoons of liquid. Thus, you will need between 4-6 lemons juiced.
- Water- up to 1/2 gallon
- Optional- lime juice 3-4 tablespoons and/or mint sprigs for garnish and/or sparkling water instead of regular water (yum so good…) and/or sliced lemons for garnish.
How to make this recipe.
- Start by squeezing the juice out of your lemons. Transfer the juice to a large pitcher. If adding lime juice to the recipe, do so now.
- In another pitcher, the one you will serve or store your beverage in, place the amount of ice that you desire. If you would rather to simply add the ice to the glasses and not the pitcher, skip this step because you do not need to follow it.
- Pour the lemon juice into the pitcher and fill the pitcher with water. Garnish with lemons/mint if desired.
While you are here you probably may be interested in these most noteworthy and yet, especially relevant recipes