67 8 3.4K
This Sugar Free Lemon Loaf Cake recipe is an update to a recipe that was posted a while back.
The original lemon loaf cake was made with Greek Yogurt. Greek yogurt can still be used as a substitute for the buttermilk or sour cream addition (1:1).
Sugar Free Lemon Loaf Cake
The lemon cake is not your everyday cake.
What makes this lemon cake different is the glaze that goes on top of it.
Loaf cakes got their name because of the loaf pan that they are baked in.
These cakes are also known for the glaze that is drizzled over them. That glaze is usually made with sugar.
Making a loaf cake without sugar can take a bit of an update to the regular recipe that is used.
Obviously, we will not be using sugar in our recipe. However, we will be using sugar alternative to get us that same great taste as the regular loaf cake that has sugar in it.
Here are some similar recipes that you may also like.
Keep up to date with my recipes
You can check out my guide on baking with sugar alternatives on Amazon
I have some great tips on which alternatives may work in a recipe such as this one.
The recipe for Sugar Free Lemon Loaf Cake
You will need an 8 1/2″ loaf pans for this recipe. You will also need sugar free glaze which you can make using this recipe
What you will need to make this Sugar Free Lemon Loaf Cake
- Flour- 1 1/2 cups. Make this recipe gluten free by using gluten free flour instead of regular flour. Or, you can make this recipe low carb by using low carb Carbalose flour.
- Baking Powder- 1/4 teaspoon.
- Baking Soda- 1/4 teaspoon.
- Butter- 1 stick (1/2 cup) softened to room temperature.
- Sugar Alternative- 1 cup equivalent to sugar. Granular alternative is recommended for this recipe.
- Lemon Zest– 2 tablespoons.
- Lemon Juice- 1 1/2 tablespoons.
- Buttermilk or sour cream -6 tablespoons.
- Vanilla Extract- 1 teaspoon.
- Eggs- 2.
- Sugar free glaze- sugar free glaze which you can make using this recipe
How to make Sugar Free Lemon Loaf Cake
- Preheat your oven to 325. Prep your loaf pan for nonstick. I use parchment paper that is a bit big for the pan so that I can easily lift my cake out.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk or sift together your flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set this bowl aside.
- Now in a mixing bowl, creme together the sugar alternative and the butter. The result will not be as fluffy as if you are using regular sugar however, you should get a good result in about 3-4 minutes. Use a paddle attachment and set the mixer on a slow to medium speed for best results.
- While you sugar alternative and butter are in the mixer, use a third mixing bowl to mix together the lemon juice, buttermilk (or alternative) and the vanilla extract. Set this aside for a moment.
- Take the first bowl with the flour mixture in it and pour about half of it into the mixing bowl. Set the mixer on slow and mix for about 10 seconds. Then add one egg to the bowl and half of the contents from the third bowl (liquid ingredients). Mix for 10 seconds and then repeat the process until all of the ingredients have been mixed together in the mixing bowl.
- Bake the loaf for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool before drizzling the glaze over it and serving.
67 8 3.4K