153 33.4K 4 6
This Sugar Free Chocolate Buttercream Frosting recipe proves that even if you are trying to avoiding sugar does not mean having to avoid a delicious dessert.
Use this frosting on your favorite sugar free baked desserts.
Sugar Free Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
This has been a popular recipe around here.
This is probably because there are so many uses for a chocolate buttercream frosting. Also, the fact that it is sugar free makes it even better.
To be honest, this is one of those recipes that I don’t really mind licking out the bowl of.
I know that I may be a bit old for that kind of fun but, like they say, ‘you only live once’. Plus, it sure helps with the clean up if the bowl is pre-cleaned.
A while back I posted a recipe for sugar free buttercream frosting.
This recipe has surprised me in it’s popularity. I guess that we are all looking to have our cake and enjoy it too. Right?
Because I have had many people tell me that they liked my recipe for Sugar Free Buttercream frosting, I thought that I would post this recipe.
That is a good thing as I like to hear how my recipes are working for folks. This recipe for frosting allows those of us who want a delicious frosting for our cakes without all of that sugar. This is a recipe for chocolate buttercream frosting that has no added sugar.
People ask me for a chocolate version of my sugar free butter cream icing.
This recipe for Sugar Free Chocolate Buttercream Frosting is a way to top a cupcake or cake without adding a lot of extra sugar. This frosting is simple to make.
I really like that I know exactly what is going into this recipe.
Sure, there is some convenience to using a pre-made store bought frosting. However, if you have ever read the ingredient label on one of those frosting containers, you may have wondered about things just as I have. Thus, I like making my own.
I have some great recipe suggestions on what you use this frosting on.
- Sugar Free Devil’s Food Cake. Kind of like chocolate on chocolate.
- Sugar Free Sponge Cake (a really popular recipe here).
- Sugar Free Pound Cake (another really popular recipe- yay!).
Keep up to date with my recipes
You can check out my guide on baking with sugar alternatives on Amazon
I have some great tips on which alternatives may work in a recipe such as this one.
The recipe for Sugar Free Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
What you will need to make this Sugar Free Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Butter- 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened to room temperature.
- Sugar Free Powdered Sugar- 3 cups. You can make this yourself using this recipe or buy sugar free powdered sugar online here.
- Unsweetened Baking Chocolate-– 1 4 ounce bar. Melt this and use it at room temperature. Sometimes I will just put mine in sunshine and allow it to melt while I work. Be sure to put it on a plate or in a bowl if you decide to do this.
- Vanilla extract (can sub in rum or other extract..)- 2 teaspoons.
- Dairy- Milk, Buttercream, or Greek Yogurt- 3-4 tablespoons depending on desired thickness.
How to make Sugar Free Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
By the way, if you are looking for more of a cocoa frosting, check out this recipe for sugar free cocoa buttercream frosting.
- Start by whipping up your butter to make it fluffy. I use a whisk attachment on my mixer.
- Add the sugar free powdered sugar to the butter. Switch to a paddle attachment or mix by hand using a spoon. Cream this together.
- Stir in the chocolate and the vanilla extract.
- When the chocolate appears to be blended in, add a tablespoon of your dairy. Whip this up and if your frosting seems to be too thick continue to add additional dairy, up to a 1 tablespoon at a time, until you have reached your desired texture. However, to thicken up a thin frosting, simply add additional sugar a teaspoon at a time.
- This should frost an average sized cake depending the thickness of your frosting.
153 33.4K 4 6