172 34K 1
This recipe for Sugar Free Cocoa Muffins is pretty basic.
Yet, it is a good one as well.
Sugar Free Cocoa Muffins
It is no wonder why this has been a popular recipe here.
Cocoa flavored muffins are a nice alternative to the usual muffins that we enjoy.
These muffins may remind you of chocolate cupcakes.
However, thanks to the ingredients used in this, it is a cake.
Thus, you may also agree that these muffins really do not taste cake-like as well.
I have updated this recipe to include a low carb option as well as a gluten free option.
You can easily make either option as a result of substituting the flour that you use.
Make this recipe gluten free by using gluten free flour instead of regular flour (see packaging for adding a binder such as xanthum gum if needed). Or, you can make this recipe low carb by using low carb Carbalose flour.
Here are some similar recipes that you may also like.
Keep up to date with my recipes
You can check out my guide on baking with sugar alternatives on Amazon
I have some great tips on which alternatives may work in a recipe such as this one.
The recipe for Sugar Free Cocoa Muffins
You can make this recipe gluten free or low carb as mentioned above. Do so by simply subbing in your flour for the flour listed.
What you will need to make this Sugar Free Cocoa Muffins
If you are making this recipe gluten free or low carb, be sure that all ingredients that you are adding abide by those options.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder- 1/4 cup.
- Sugar Alternative- 3/4 Cup equivalent to sugar. Granular sugar alternative is suggested.
- Flour- 1 1/2 cups. All purpose or gluten free flour instead of regular flour. Or, you can make this recipe low carb by using low carb Carbalose flour. The flour that you use will help result in the alternative that you choose to follow.
- Baking Soda- 1 teaspoon.
- Egg-1 whisked.
- Yogurt (can use flavored or even Greek if desired), Sour Cream or Whipping Cream- 1 cup
- Milk- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons.
- Vanilla Extract- 1 teaspoon.
- Vegetable or similar oil- 1/2 cup.
- Optional- sugar free/gluten free chocolate chips– 1/2 cup.
How to make Sugar Free Cocoa Muffins
- Preheat your oven to 375 and prep your muffin pan for nonstick.
- Combine together the cocoa powder and sugar alternative in a mixing bowl. You can simply blend these with a fork or whisk.
- Add the flour and baking soda to the bowl and then the egg, yogurt, milk, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil in addition. Use a paddle attachment to the mixer and mix on low-medium speed until somewhat blended. If you are adding the optional chocolate chips you can fold them into the batter here.
- Fill the muffin cup about 2/3 full., Bake this for 20-25 minutes or until done. If using a toothpick to test these muffins, do so where there are no chocolate chips as melted chocolate may thus give a false positive toothpick as a result.
- Allow these to cool in the pan.
Delicious Cocoa Muffins that everyone should love.
- Unsweetened Cocoa~1/4 cup -
- Sugar Alternative~ 3/4 cup equivalent -
- Flour AP~ 1 1/2 cups -
- Baking Soda~ 1/2 tsp -
- Baking Powder~ 1 1/2 tsp -
- Vanilla Extract~ 1 tsp -
- Greek Yogurt~ 1 cup -
- Egg~1 -
- Vegetable or Similar oil~1/2 cup -
Preheat your oven to 450 and prep your muffin pan for nonstick~ In a medium bowl, whisk together your cocoa, sugar alternative, flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside
In a large mixing bowl mix together your yogurt, vanilla extract, egg and vegetable oil
Add your dry ingredients slowly into your wet ingredients, stirring gently as you go and avoiding over-mixing
Fill each muffin cup 2/3 rds of the way. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Please see post for details.
172 34K 1