Sugar Free and Low Carb Baked Doughnuts
I'm not sure if it's 'doughnuts' or 'donuts' but, either way, I am happy about these.
The average doughnut is made with a cake-like batter that has sugar in it. Then the doughnut is fried and topped with more sugar. I personally am not a fan of fried anything and certainly am not a fan of the double dose of sugar.
It is nice that you can make these doughnuts plain and just top them any way that you like to.
I have an easy recipe for making sugar free powdered sugar. You can give your doughnut a dusting of this powdered sugar. I also have several sugar free frosting recipes as well as a recipe for sugar free glaze.
There are a few ingredients that we will also need for this recipe.
First of all, you will need a low carb flour. I use Carbalose for a lot of my low carb recipes. You can find Carbalose online. You could also use a
Gluten Free flour instead if you would reather have a gluten free doughnut. Coincidentally, I did see a flour alternative that is both low carb and gluten free (I have not tried this).
You will also need a baking pan to make these doughnuts.
I am so excited that there actually are pans made specifically for baked doughnuts. You can find a great variety of doughnut baking pans online at good prices. There are also doughnut makers online that seem pretty cool.
The recipe for Sugar Free and Low Carb Baked Doughnuts
What you will need to make this recipe.
- Low Carb Flour alternative such as Carbalose (see post for details)- equivalent to 2 cups of flour.
- Sugar Alternative= equivalent to 1 3/4 cups of sugar. Granular such as Splenda, works best for me.
- Baking Powder- 2 tsp.
- Salt- 1/2 tsp.
- Vanilla Extract- 2 tsps.
- Egg- 1 beaten.
- Butter- 2 tablespoons softened.
- Milk or other similar liquid- 1 1/4 cups (depending on how many carbs/fat you will allow, you can use anything from whole milk to unsweetened almond milk. However, you will get a better tasting result from a fuller liquid such as whole milk).
- Optional: Toppings, as needed, such as Cinnamon (unsweetened), sugar free powdered sugar or any of the other options discussed in the post above.
How to make Sugar Free and Low Carb Baked Doughnuts
- Preheat your oven to 350 and prep your pan for nonstick.
- In a mixing bowl, combine together your flour alternative, sugar alternative, baking powder, and salt. Set this aside.
- Now, in a mixing bowl, whisk together the vanilla extract, egg and milk. Pour this mixture into the dry mixture 1/3rd at a time, stirring between mixing. Mix until blended.
- Pour this into the prepped pans. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan.
- Top as desired- there are ideas in the post.