How to make Sugar Free Condensed Milk
This recipe is for all of use who have been stumped by an ingredient in a recipe.
For me, that ‘recipe-stump’ usually is something like condensed milk.
I spend quite a bit of time trying to convert normal recipes into sugar free ones.
Often, this recipe conversion means having to find work-around for certain recipes. This is especially true when I am baking something wonderful.
There is a difference between evaporated milk and condensed milk.
I am mentioning this because people often wonder if you can substitute one for the other.
Thanks to this recipe, or simple hack, you can substitute a version of evaporated milk for the condensed milk.
Yes, condensed milk is sweetened while evaporated milk is not
However, you should know that both are virtually the same in milk concentration. Hence, evaporated milk can be used for the condensed stuff. All we need to do is sweeten it using this method.
Here are some similar recipes that you may also like.
- Fabulous Sugar Free Fudge.
- Sugar Free Maple Fudge recipe.
- 3 Ingredient Sugar Free Frozen Fudge Pops.
I will be posting recipes in the near future that incorporate this sugar free condensed milk.
Keep up to date with my recipes
You can check out my guide on baking with sugar alternatives on Amazon
I have some great tips on which alternatives may work in a recipe such as this one.
The recipe for How to make Sugar Free Condensed Milk
Method 1- using evaporated milk or other kind of milk.
- Evaporated Milk- 1 12 ounce can. Can sub in milk or milk alternative as well however, you will need to add the Guar Gum if you do.
- Sugar Alternative– equivalent to 1 cup of sugar.
- Butter- 2 tablespoons.
- Thickener such as Guar Gum– 1/2 teaspoon. This is needed if you have used milk in this recipe or simply want a thicker result.
How to make How to make Sugar Free Condensed Milk
- Whisk together the evaporated milk with the sugar alternative. Then heat this mixture on low-medoum heat on the stove. You will need to stir or whisk this continually until it warms enough to want to start the bubble. At this point, reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer. If a thick layer wants to form, simply skim it off.
- When this mixture reaches your desired thickness, you can remove from heat and mix in the butter.However, if your desired thickness has not been reached in an hour, you can stir in the Guar Gum just before you sir in the butter. Also, for added flavor you can add a teaspoon of vanilla.
Method 2- easy
- Dry Milk Powder– 1 cup.
- Tap Water- 1/3 cup.
- Sugar Alternative- 1/3 cup (granular works best).
How to make this.
- Over medium heat in a sauce pan, combine together the dry milk powder with the tap water. Stir this as needed and cook until it thickens- about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Remove this from heat and stir in the sugar alternative.
- Allow this to cool at room temperature and then refrigerate for at least a half hour before using.
- When ready to use, stir with a fork or whisk.
Method 3- the easiest.
How to Make Sugar Free Condensed Milk
- Whisk together the evaporated milk with the sugar alternative. Then heat this mixture on low-medium heat on the stove, stirring continually until it starts to bubble.
- Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer. Skim off layers as needed.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter .However, if your desired thickness has not been reached in an hour, you can stir in the Guar Gum just before you sir in the butter
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!