Knowing How to Make the BEST Sugar Free Hot Cocoa is important around here this time of the year.
Yet, finding hot cocoa that does not have a lot of sugar in it is pretty hard to do.
How to Make the BEST Sugar Free Hot Cocoa
I once had a ‘relative’ who was sure that cocoa mix and chocolate milk mix were the same thing. So, when she decided to help out in someone else’s kitchen, she took it upon herself to combine both mixes into one container. Needless to say, when we came in after a jaunt in the snow with our dogs, we were not happy to enjoy what we had thought was hot cocoa.
However, that cocoa was not sugar free.
And of course, that was a silly story that means nothing today other than the moral of the story being that hot cocoa mix and chocolate milk mix are NOT the same thing and should not be combined together. Truth be told though, if you are out in the snow thinking about hot cocoa, it is only hot cocoa that will do when you find yourself indoors. Am I right?
The goal of this drink is to enjoy something warm and chocolaty without a lot of sugar in it.
As mentioned, normal hot cocoa can indeed have a lot of sugar added to it. We will make ours without adding a lot of sugar.
The cocoa we will use should be an unsweetened cocoa.
Unsweetened cocoa can easily be found online. Instead of adding sugar, we will use a sugar substitute. Use the substitute of your choice as long as it is used in an equivalent amount as stated in the recipe (I say this a lot in my recipes). There is usually a dairy product added to hot cocoa. That dairy is usually whole milk or creme. We will use an unsweetened almond milk or skim milk will do too. Simply use the one that meets your dietary standards and preference best. Keep in mind that by using a thinner dairy product, your cocoa may not be as thick as the regular stuff as a result. Personally, I am okay with this.
Yes, we can get marshmallows into our cocoa.
Cool right? That is because when I was writing my Sugar Free S’More Recipe I stumbled upon sugar free marshmallows. Best day ever- sort of. You can find the sugar free graham cracker recipe here as well.
The Recipe for How to Make the BEST Sugar Free Hot Cocoa
What you will need to make this cocoa.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder- 2 tablespoons per serving.
- Sugar Alternative- 1 1/2 tablespoons equivalent to sugar.
- Unsweetened almond milk or skim milk- 1 cup per serving. You could use water instead but, don’t expect the best tasting cocoa ever.
- Vanilla Extract- 1/4 teaspoon per serving.
- Salt- 1/4 teaspoon, can omit if avoiding salt.
- Optional- Yay- Sugar Free Marshmallows- see post for details…
How to make this sugar free cocoa.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, whisk together the cocoa powder, sugar alternative, and milk (or alternative).
- When your cocoa is well blended and warm, remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Serve with your optional sugar free marshmallow. Sometimes, I will use a bit of whipped cream.