Sugar Free Chocolate Sheet Cake is a delicious chocolate cake made keto-friendly to satisfy any sugar craving.
I like that the cream cheese frosting makes this cake taste more chocolaty and moist taste in every bite.
About this recipe for sheet cake made with no added sugar.
This is a simple recipe for cake that features a fudgy chocolate cake base.
The cream cheese frosting just as chocolaty and is also made with no added sugar.
Did you try my Sugar Free Blueberry Sheet Cake?
That sheet cake recipe is made with lemon flavored sheet cake made with fresh blueberries. Like with this cake recipe, that blueberry sheet cake has no added sugar.
To make this recipe you will need rimmed baking sheet. You can find rimmed baking sheets here.
This cake recipe is for a sheet cake. It is called a 'sheet cake' because is is baked on a rimmed baking sheet.
A 'regular cake' is baked in some kind of a cake pan. Cake pans can be a basic round pan, bundt style pan, or even a springform style pan.
Folding egg whites into the cake batter is a technique that is used in this recipe.
The egg whites are first whipped to a peak state. Then they are folded into the cake batter.
Whipping the egg whites is done to introduce air into them. By folding the whipped egg whites into the batter we are thus introducing additional air into the cake batter which in turn help the texture of our cake become become less dense when baked.
Here are some tips for making sheet cake.
This recipe calls for erythritol as the sugar alternative. If you decide to use a different alternative to sugar, use one that measures like erythritol (which is not the same as sugar).
More helpful tips for you.
- This recipe uses a simple chocolate flavored frosting that was piped on top of the cake. Feel free to omit the frosting, use the frosting of your choice, or even use a frosting knife rather than a piping bag/
- Almond flour is also used in this recipe. You can use an alternative to almond flour however, make sure that the alternative measures like almond flour and adjust the eggs as needed if there is a binder in the flour.
- My cake uses vanilla extract to help balance the flavor of this cake. You can use another extract, such as a mint extract, instead of or with a portion of that vanilla extract.
How to store leftover sheet cake.
Leftover sheet cake should be covered with plastic wrap or the lid that comes with the sheet pan. If properly covered, this cake should stay fresh for about five days when refrigerated.
Here are some similar recipes that you may also like.
- Sugar Free Strawberry Brownies
- The Best Sugar Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Sugar Free Key Lime Jello Pie
- The Best Sugar Free Chocolate Brownies
- Sugar Free Peanut Butter Pie
- FABULOUS Sugar Free Fudge
- Sugar Free Copycat Crumbl Chocolate Chip Cookies
- How to Make Sugar Free Marshmallows
- Sugar Free Buttercream Frosting
Keep up to date with my recipes
Ingredients needed to make the cake base for this cake recipe.
The base of this cake is chocolate flavored and is made with almond flour and unsweetened cocoa powder. Since this is a sheet pan cake, you should thus bake it in in a rimmed baking 9 X 13" rimmed baking sheet which you can also find here.
Here are the ingredients used.
- Almond flour. This is used instead of all purpose flour in order to keep this recipe keto and gluten free friendly. The almond flour also adds flavor and a bit of protein to this recipe.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder. We add this because it ss what makes the chocolaty.
- Baking powder. Used as the leavening agent for the cake.
- Oil. Preferably something neutral such as sunflower or canola oil. This helps keep the cake moist.
- Erythritol. The sugar alternative choice for this cake. Note that this does not measure 1:1 like other alternatives or sugar.
- Apple cider vinegar. This helps with the texture of the cake by aeration.
- Eggs. The eggs help to hold in the moisture of this cake. More importantly, since the flour is gluten free, the eggs help to bind the ingredients together. Three of the eggs will need to be separated.
- Vanilla extract is added to help balance out the flavors.
Ingredients needed for the sugar free butter and cream cheese chocolate frosting.
The frosting used in this recipe is a based on a basic butter and cream cheese frosting. However, this frosting is also made with no added sugar.
Here is what you will need to make the frosting.
- Cream Cheese. This should be softened to room temperature.
- Butter. Also softened to room temperature.
- Sugar Free Powdered Sugar. We want this to be light and fluffy so it is recommended that you sift or whisk the the powdered sugar alternative.
- Milk or heavy cream. This is really added as needed for texture. Almond milk can be used as can half and half be used.
- Unsweetened cocoa. This is what makes the frosting a chocolate one. For a more unique flavor you can use Dutch process for the chocolate.
- Vanilla Extract. Again, this is added for flavoring.
Instructions for baking the cake.
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 and also prepping your baking sheet for nonstick. I like parchment paper for this recipe. Also, if your eggs are not yet separated, also separate your eggs now.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together your almond flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder.
- Now, in a mixing bowl, you can beat together your sugar alternative and oil until creamy. Next, mix in the apple cider vinegar along with the separated egg yolks and the remaining full eggs (that's three egg yolks plus two full eggs).
- Next, add the dry ingredients from your first bowl to the mixing bowl along with the vanilla extract to the mixing bowl and then mix until combined.
- Now for the egg whites, you will also need to use a very clean mixing bowl and very clean whisk attachments. However, you should beat the egg whites until firm peaks are formed. Then, once formed, gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter, however, adding about a third of the whites at a time.
- Next, bake the cake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. However, you should not overbake this cake. Also, you should also allow the cake to thus fully cool before adding the frosting. Additionally, you can however refrigerate your cake before you serve it to also allow for the frosting to thus set.
The Recipe Card for Sugar Free Chocolate Sheet Cake
Sugar Free Chocolate Sheet Cake
For the frosting. Cream Cheese 8oz, Butter- ½ cup, Sugar Free Powdered Sugar-4 cups , Unsweetened Cocoa Powder- ½ cup, vanilla extract- 1 teaspoon, and milk or heavy cream 1-2 tbsp or as needed.
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 and prepping your baking sheet for nonstick. Also, if your eggs are not yet separated, do this now.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder.
- Next, in a mixing bowl, beat together the sugar alternative and oil until creamy. Then mix in the apple cider vinegar along with the separated egg yolks and the remaining full eggs.
- Add the dry ingredients from the first bowl to the mixing bowl along with the vanilla extract to the mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- Now for the egg whites, you will need to use a very clean mixing bowl and very clean whisk attachments. Beat the egg whites until it firm peaks are formed. Once formed, gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter about a third of the whites at a time.
- Bake the cake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. This cake should not be overbaked. Allow the cake to fully cool before adding the frosting. Refrigerate the cake before serving to allow for the frosting to set.
- Beat together the ingredients for the frosting until you reach consistency. You can thin the frosting out by adding additional milk as needed to thin in out or powdered sugar alternative to thicken it.
Please see recipe post for further details on this recipe.
Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that are used. See thesugarfreediva.com for details on this recipe.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!
Quick recipe instruction summary.
Time needed: 1 hour and 5 minutes.
Quick chocolate sheet cake instructions.
Prep the pan with parchment paper.
Preheat the oven to 350.
Separate three of the eggs.
- Mix the batter and bake the cake.
Follow the steps listed above for making the cake.
Bake the cake and then allow it to cool.
- Make the sugar free frosting.
Combine the frosting ingredients to consistency.
Frost the cake and then allow the frosting to set by refrigerating the cake before serving.
In case you missed it.
- About this recipe for sheet cake made with no added sugar.
- Here are some tips for making sheet cake.
- How to store leftover sheet cake.
- Keep up to date with my recipes
- Ingredients needed to make the cake base for this cake recipe.
- Ingredients needed for the sugar free butter and cream cheese chocolate frosting.
- Instructions for baking the cake.
- The Recipe Card for Sugar Free Chocolate Sheet Cake
Thanks so much for visiting thesugarfreediva.com!
If you decide to make this recipe, please @thesugarfreediva on social to let me know how it turned out for you.
Looking for a recipe that is not on my site?
Also, please let me know and I will work on getting that recipe for you. Happy baking, eating, and enjoying life! Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can however, vary especially with ingredients that are used.
Sugar Free Chocolate Sheet Cake, a simple and tasty dessert recipe that is keto, low carb, and gluten free diet friendly.
However, please see recipe post for thus further details on this recipe.
You can see items that have been featured on my Sugar Free Sunday Spotlight here.