5 Ingredient Sugar Free Cream Cheese Frosting is a simple and delicious recipe that can be made in a matter of minutes.
This creamy frosting is both tangy and sweet with a hit of vanilla flavoring .
Sugar Free Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe.
This is a simple five ingredient frosting idea that is perfect for favorite sugar free desserts.
While this tasty frosting recipe works great on a cake and cupcakes, it can also be served as a dip for cookies, crackers, and even fruit such as apples.
Did you try my recipe for Sugar Free Buttercream Icing?
That buttercream icing is a thinner consistency than buttercream frosting, making it perfect for even more desserts such as cookies. Both this recipe for cream cheese frosting and that recipe for buttercream icing are perfect ideas for many of your homemade baked goodies!
To make this recipe you will need sugar free powdered sugar. You can find a selection of sugar free powdered sugar here.
Frequently asked questions about cream cheese frosting.
Cream cheese frosting is frosting that uses cream cheese in addition to butter as a 'fat' ingredient. It is the 'fat' ingredients that accounts for the structure of the frosting and holds the ingredients together.
While butter can be used alone to make a frosting, when added, cream cheese adds a more stable and creamy texture to the frosting making it easier to spread or pipe over baked desserts.
Cream cheese also adds a tangy flavor to frosting which helps to balance out the sweetness of frosting.
Lastly, cream cheese helps to stabilize the frosting which can help prevent melting (have you ever seen dripping frosting on a warm day?).
Cream cheese frosting can be used to frost about anything that you would use buttercream frosting for. This frosting can be used on cakes (such as carrot cake), cupcakes, brownies, and even pies.
Cream cheese can also be used as a dip.
Simply stir in a bit more of the powdered sugar until you get your desired texture for a dip.
Tips for making cream cheese frosting.
Use a full fat cream cheese to make this recipe for best results. This is because a full fat cream cheese is sturdier and will hold up better.
More helpful tips for you.
- Softening your cream cheese and butter to room temperature before adding it to this recipe is a great way to get them to blend better. However, refrigerating the blended ingredients can help keep them from running if you are working in a warm space.
- Really, a powdered sugar alternative works best in this recipe for better blending. I would suggest that you do not use a liquid sugar alternative or granular sugar alternative for this recipe.
- Yes, this cream cheese frosting can also be used for piping. However, because of the consistency of this frosting, I would keep the design to a basic piping rather something intricate.
How to store leftover cream cheese frosting.
Leftover frosting should be stored in an airtight container.
If properly stored, this frosting should keep for up to five days refrigerated or up to a few months frozen.
Here are some recipes that can work with this frosting.
- Sugar Free Ombre Layered Cake
- Vanilla Sheet Cake with no added sugar.
- Sugar Free Carrot Cake
- Lemon Sheet Cake Bars with No Added Sugar
- Chocolate Sheet Cake with no added sugar
- Vanilla Cupcakes with no added sugar.
Keep up to date with my recipes
About this recipe for sugar free frosting.
Cream cheese frosting is the perfect frosting for so many tasty treats such as cakes and cupcakes thanks to its creamy texture and balanced flavors. Thankfully, there are just five simple ingredients that are used to make this recipe in about ten minutes (stand or hand mixer recommended).
This cream cheese frosted can also be adjusted to meet your dessert needs.
For chocolate frosting, swap out a half cup of the sugar free powdered sugar with unsweetened cocoa powder. Or for additional flavorings, simply swap out the vanilla extract with an extract of your choice. Lastly, a few drops of food coloring can make your frosting more colorful.
Ingredients needed to make 5 Ingredient Sugar Free Cream Cheese Frosting
- Butter. Your butter should be softened to room temperature. Unsalted butter is recommended as we are adding salt to this recipe.
- Cream Cheese. This should be a full fat cream cheese bar rather than an alternative cream cheese or spreadable version. Also, softened to room temperature for better blending.
- Vanilla Extract. Feel free to use another extract for a more specific flavor frosting.
- Salt. A small amount is used to balance out the flavors.
- Sugar Free Powdered Sugar. You can sift this or whisk it if you are going to be piping the frosting to make it smoother (removing lumps).
Expert Tip 👉 Optional ingredients that may be used to adjust consistency include milk or heavy cream to thin out the frosting or additional powdered sugar to thicken it up.
How to make 5 Ingredient Sugar Free Cream Cheese Frosting
- You can fit your your mixer with a paddle attachment (you can switch it out for a whisk attachment later if desired). Beat together the butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Next, add the vanilla extract and the salt to the bowl and mix until combined.
- For the next step we will gradually add the sugar free powdered sugar to the bowl. To do this, first make sure that your mixer is set on low as the powdered sugar will need to be added slowly. Add the powdered sugar and mix until combined and there are no visible lumps.
- Make adjustments as needed for consistency and flavor.
- Refrigerate your cream cheese frosting until you are ready to use it.
Expert Tip👉 The desired consistency of this frosting can vary depending on what you will be using it on. For example, if you are using a piping bag to frost a cake, you will most likely need a thinner frosting for best results. On the other hand, a thicker frosting can work on cupcakes using a frosting spreader.
👇 Have you seen these popular recipes? 👇
In case you missed something.
- Sugar Free Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe.
- Frequently asked questions about cream cheese frosting.
- Tips for making cream cheese frosting.
- How to store leftover cream cheese frosting.
- About this recipe for sugar free frosting.
The Recipe Card for 5 Ingredient Sugar Free Cream Cheese Frosting
5 Ingredient Sugar Free Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat together the butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla extract and the salt to the bowl and mix until combined.
- For the next step we will gradually add the sugar free powdered sugar to the bowl. To do this, first make sure that your mixer set on low speed as the powdered sugar will need to be added slowly.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix until combined and there are no visible lumps. Make adjustments as needed for consistency and flavor.
- When this frosting reaches a spreadable texture that you need, then it is ready to use. Refrigerate this frosting if not using immediately and allow it to become soft when you are ready to use it. Items with this frosting on them should be refrigerated as well.
Also, please see the actual recipe post for further details on this recipe. Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that are used. See thesugarfreediva.com for details on this recipe.
most recently updated:June 27, 2023
*About Sugar Alternatives
Specific sugar alternatives are not given in the recipes presented on this site. Only suggestions are given as to the 'kind' of alternative to use. It is up to you to select the alternative to use that suits your needs best. If the recipe is heated or cooked, it is best to use an alternative that can be heated or cooked with for best results. This site does not endorse any specific ingredients,
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!
5 Ingredient Sugar Free Cream Cheese Frosting, a simple and delicious recipe for homemade dessert frosting made with no added sugar.
Thanks so much for visiting thesugarfreediva.com!
If you decide to make this recipe, please @thesugarfreediva on social to let me know how it turned out for you.
Looking for a recipe that is not on my site?
Please let me know and I will work on getting that recipe for you. Happy baking, eating, and enjoying life! Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can thus however, vary especially with ingredients that are used.
Please see recipe post for further details on this recipe.