Low Carb Air Fried Cheese Sticks are a great idea for an appetizer or for a snack and are only one net carb!
I like that these cheese sticks taste just like the yummy gooey cheesy ones that are fried and breaded.
Low Carb Air Fried Cheese Sticks
This is a recipe for cheese sticks that are not fried in oil.
The cheese sticks are also made with a low carbohydrate breading alternative to the usual breading.
Did you try my Air Fried Keto Pizza Roll Ups?
Like with this recipe, those keto pizza roll ups are also a keto friendly version of a popular appetizer, meal, or snack idea.
Both recipes are also made in an air fryer.
To make this recipe you will need keto keto low carbohydrate friendly bread crumbs. You can find a selection of keto low carb bread crumbs here.
People ask can I eat cheese sticks on keto.
Just as with other recipes, this recipe is only as keto low carbohydrate as the ingredients that are added to the recipe.
As a result, if you you are using low carbohydrate or keto friendly ingredients, you should be okay.
In regular cheese stick recipe, the carbohydrates usually come from the breading that is used.
Panko or bread crumbs are the popular choice for breading.
However, this recipe uses low carbohydrate alternatives to that usual breading.
You may be wondering what do you eat with cheese sticks.
These sticks made in an air fryer are tasty just the way that they are.
However, they can also taste good dipped.
Here are some dip ideas that would work with this recipe.
- Low Carb Marinara Sauce.
- Other low carb sauces such as pizza sauce, barbecue sauce or steak sauce.
- Sugar Free Ketchup.
Here are some tips for making air fryer mozzarella sticks.
Using string cheese is the big secret to making these cheese sticks.
I suggest using a lower moisture and part skim milk string cheese for best results.
Here are some more helpful tips for you.
- Freezing the string cheese before making this recipe is also recommended. You can do this as little as two hours prior to making the air fryer sticks.
- There are many varieties of keto panko or bread crumbs that you can use. Feel free to use crushed up pork rinds for all of the needed panko bread crumbs or in combination with another choice.
- This is one of the few recipes that I would suggest prepping the air fryer basket to prevent a clean up chore. Simply pull the basked out of the air fryer and give it a quick spray of nonstick (over the sink to prevent a mess).
- I am using mozzarella cheese in this recipe as they work the best when breaded and heated in this recipe. Can you use another cheese? Stick with a cheese that comes in a wrapped snack stick, that is lower in moisture, and also freeze it before using it in this recipe. Mozzarella is popular because it can get gooey when heated. However, there are other cheese varieties (Colby Jack) that can work too.
How to store mozzarella sticks.
If your sticks have been air fried, simply place them in an air tight container where they should keep for about five days or in a freezer for about a month.
Not already air fried sticks can be stored in the freezer.
Here are some similar recipes that you may also like.
- Keto Low Carb Flatbread
- Low Carb Pizza Rolls
- Sugar Free Low Carb Chocolate Cake
- Keto Low Carb Taco Pizza
- 3 Ingredient Sugar Free Peanut Butter Cookies
- Keto No Bake Chocolate Cookies
- Sugar Free Keto Shortbread
- Low Carb Air Fried Zucchini Sticks
- Low Carb Air Fried Veggie Tots
- Air Fried 'Blooming Onion'.
- Low Carb Air Fried Onion Rings.
Keep up to date with my recipes
You can check out my guide on baking with sugar alternatives on Amazon
I have some great tips on which alternatives may work in a recipe such as this one.
The recipe for Air Fryer Low Carb Mozzarella Sticks.
This 'breaded' cheese stick or Mozzarella stick recipe is based upon the popular breaded and fried appetizer recipe. The ingredients used in this recipe should have low carbohydrate values and be keto friendly for best results.
This recipe can also be made in an oven or in oil.
Fry these in a skillet with about an inch and a half of oil on medium.
Or, bake these in an oven on 450 until brown (8-10 minutes), flipping after five minutes.
Ingredients needed to make Keto low carb mozzarella sticks.
- Mozzarella Cheese Sticks- 6. Use a part skim and low moisture mozzarella for best results. The sticks should be frozen for at least two hours. They should also be cut in half, horizontally.
- Low Carb Keto Bread Crumbs- 2 cups total. This can include low carb panko, low carb bread crumbs, pork rinds as all or in combination for the two cups.
- Eggs- 1 beaten.
- Seasonings as desired- 2 teaspoons total. This can include Italian Seasonings, Mediterranean Diet Seasoning Blend, Greek Seasoning Blend, Salt, and/or Pepper.
How to make Air Fried Low Carb Cheese Sticks.
Note: We will be using a 'dredging' process to make these. If you find that you are having issues with your batter sticking to the cheese, simply repeat the process of dredging. Also, for best results, be sure to 'flick' off the excess dry ingredients before air frying them.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet that can fit into to a freezer with parchment paper.
- We will set up the dredging station using two shallow bowls. In the first bowl, place your beaten egg (or simply beat it in the bowl). In the second bowl whisk or mix together the dry ingredients, (breadcrumbs/panko and seasoning).
- Use a fork to hold and dredge the first cheese stick in the egg, covering it well. Then run the cheese stick through the second bowl with the dry ingredients. Flick off the excess dry ingredients and repeat this step before placing the covered stick on to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat this process until all of the sticks have been covered with the ingredients, placing the sticks on to the sheet so that they do not touch one another. Then place the sheet with the cheese sticks in the to freezer. Freeze for at least 15 minutes.
- When you are ready to air fry your cheese sticks, spray the fryer basket with nonstick and preheat the fryer to 370. Place 5-6 sticks into the fryer taking care to not overlap them. Air fry for five to seven minutes or until done. Repeat the process until all of your sticks are done. The total air fry time can vary depending on the air fryer that you use.
The Recipe Card for Low Carb Air Fried Cheese Sticks
Low Carb Air Fried Cheese Sticks
- Line a baking sheet or similar flat rimmed board with parchment paper and set this aside while you work. If your freezer does not have room for this baking sheet, use something flat that will fit, like a plate.
- Use two shallow bowls to make a dredging system. In the first bowl place the beaten egg. In the second bowl place the remaining ingredients (everything but the cheese and the egg).
- Start by dredging the first cheese stick in the egg, covering it well. Then run it through the second bowl with the dry ingredients. Flick off the excess dry ingredients and place the cheese stick on the prepped baking sheet. Repeat this process until all of the sticks have been covered with the ingredients. Do not overlap the sticks, use an additional sheet instead. Then place the sheet with the cheese sticks in the to freezer. Freeze for at least 15 minutes.
- When you are ready to air fry your cheese sticks, spray the fryer basket with nonstick and preheat the fryer to 370. Place 5-6 sticks into the fryer taking care to not overlap them. Fry for 5-7 minutes or until done. Repeat the process until all of your sticks are done.
Please see recipe post for further details on this recipe.
Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that are used. See thesugarfreediva.com for details on this recipe.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!
This recipe was recently updated.
Here is the original.
Here is what you will need to make this Low Carb Air Fried Cheese Sticks
The process is the same as the updated version.
- Egg- 1 beaten.
- Low Carb All Purpose Flour- 2 tablespoons. When choosing your low carb flour alternative, please make sure that it is not a baking mix as a baking mix will have additional ingredients added to it. Also, if you are using a gluten free option (such as almond flour), you may need to add an extra egg or some kind of a binder.
My choice for low carb flour is Carbalose flour.
- Low Carb Bread Crumbs- 4 tablespoons.
You can find low carb bread crumbs or alternatives for low carb bread crumbs online.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese- ⅓ cup.
- Seasonings -as desired. I am making this optional as your other ingredients may have already been seasoned. Two teaspoons should be enough if you are adding your own seasonings.
- Cheese Sticks- 12 one ounce cheese sticks. Cut these in half and then freeze them before using them in this recipe.
Thanks so much for visiting!
If you decide to make this recipe, please stop back and let me know how it turned out for you. Also, if you have any tips or tweaks to the recipe to share, please do so in the comment section below. My readers like to stop by periodically for updates on the recipes. Reading the comments below is helpful to these readers and hopefully to you too!!
Looking for a recipe that is not on my site?
Please let me know and I will work on getting that recipe for you.
Happy baking, eating, and enjoying life!
Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that are used.
These keto friendly Low Carb Air Fried Cheese Sticks are delicious and make for the perfect appetizer for you and your friends!
Please see recipe post for further details on this recipe.
You can see items that have been featured on my Sugar Free Sunday Spotlight here.