No Added Sugar Apple Crisp is a classic dessert featuring fresh apples that have been baked with a crisp oatmeal based topping.
This delicious baked apple dessert blends the sweet and baked soft apples with seasonal fall spices to make the perfect fall dessert treat.
Easy sugar free apple crisp recipe
This is a simple two layered apple crisp recipe that has no added sugar.
I like that this version of a classic crisp recipe feature the delicious taste of baked apples that have been combined with seasonal spices, topped with an oatmeal topping, and then baked.
Did you try my recipe for Sugar Free Apple Pie?
That apple pie recipe is based upon a classic apple pie recipe but, without the added sugar. Both this recipe for apple crisp and that recipe for apple pie are delicious recipes that contain fresh apples and no added sugar.
This apple crisp recipe is so much easier to make when you use an apple slicer with corer to prepare your apples with. You can find a selection of apple slicers with a corer here.
What is the difference between an apple crisp and an apple crumble?
Certainly, apple crisp and apple crumble are very similar desserts.
Both the crisp and the crumble are made with apples that have been seasoned and then topped with some kind of a crust, before being baked.
However, there is a difference between the two.
Apple crisp is made with an oat-based crust that becomes crunchy when baked. On the other hand, apple crumble is topped with a flour-based crust which becomes soft and more crumbly when baked. I should note that both topping can contain oats but, the topping on the crisp is based on the oats while the crumble is based on the flour (hence the difference in textures).
What to know about baking with apples.
When looking for an apple to use in your baked recipes it is important to use apples that best for baking with. These baking apples are able to hold their shape when baked, provide a good balance of sweetness and tartness, and offer a good texture.
Here are popular baking apple varieties.
Granny Smith thanks to its firm texture, tart flavor, and ability to hold up well during cooking or baking.
Honeycrisp apples have a crisp texture and a good balance of sweetness and tartness.
Jonagold apples are a cross between Jonathan and Golden Delicious varieties which is why they have a sweet-tart flavor.
Fuji apples have a sweet and crisp texture.
Pink Lady apples have a sweet-tart flavor and a firm texture.
Cortland apples have a slightly tart taste and a tender texture. They are excellent for baking and hold their shape well in pies and cakes.
Golden Delicious, while not as firm as some other varieties, Golden Delicious apples have a sweet and mellow flavor that adds a pleasant taste to baked goods.
• Choose the Right Apple Variety according to the level of tartness and sweetness you desire in your baked goods.
• Prepare Apples Properly, such as peeling, coring, and slicing the apples consistently to ensure even cooking.
• Prevent Browning as apples tend to oxidize and turn brown when exposed to air. To prevent browning, toss the apple slices with lemon juice or submerge them in water with lemon juice before using them in recipes.
• Adjust Sweetness as needed if your baked good is too tart.
• Enhance the flavor with warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.
•Apples release moisture during baking, consider partially cooking the apples before adding them to the recipe or sprinkle them with a small amount of flour to absorb some of the moisture.
Here are some tips for making an apple crisp recipe with oatmeal.
I know that I have mentioned this before but, for a recipe such as this one, an apple that is both tart and that can hold up to baking works best. Good choices include Granny Smith, Jonathan, or Pink Lady apples .
More helpful tips for you.
- Peel the apples before you slice and core them. Peeling the apples will make them bake more easily and will make it easier to enjoy eating this crisp recipe.
- Using an apple slicer is suggested as it will cut your apple slices more uniformly. This will make it easier for the apples to evenly bake.
- Cold butter that is evenly cut into pieces is used in the topping. This will help to make the topping more crisp when baked.
How to store homemade apple crisp.
Once your apple crisp has fully cooled you can store it in an airtight container. If properly stored, it should keep refrigerated for up to five days or frozen for up to three months.
Here are some similar recipes that you may also like.
- Sugar Free Cinnamon Apple Cookies
- Air Fried Cinnamon Apple Chips
- Sugar Free Apple Tarts
- No Added Sugar Apple Crumble
- Sugar Free Instant Pot Applesauce
- No Sugar Added Apple Cake
👇Keep Scrolling to Continue Reading.👇
About no added sugar apple crisp
This is an easy and healthier delicious apple dessert recipe made with fresh apples. The apples are topped with an oat based topping and then baked on a sheet pan.
How to serve apple crisp.
- Serve this apple crisp dessert warm with a glass of cider or apple juice on the side.
- Top this apple crisp with a dollop of Sugar Free Whipped Cream on top.
- Add a scoop of Sugar Free Vanilla Ice Cream on top of your warm crisp and serve it in a bowl.
Ingredients needed to make this sheet pan apple crisp recipe
- Apples. Prepare your apples by first peeling them. Then use an apple slicer to remove the core and slice each apple into eight wedges.
- Brown Sugar Alternative. Use a granular brown sugar alternative for best results.
- Apple Pie Spice. You can alternatively just use ground cinnamon if you prefer to.
- Flour. All purpose flour was used to make my crisp. You can try an alternative all purpose flour (I have not tried this).
- Butter. This is one of the few recipes that I post here that calls for cold butter. Your cold butter should also be cut into slices as it will be cut into the flour..
- Old Fashioned Rolled Oats. Quick oats will not work the same in this recipe.
- Walnuts. Your walnuts should be chopped.
- Maple Syrup. Since this is really used for flavor, you can use a sugar free maple syrup (that can be baked with).
- Vanilla Extract. This is added for a bit of flavor balance.
Expert Tip👉 Can you make this into a keto recipe? Welp, apples have carbs and so do oats. However, you can make this into a lower carbohydrate recipe however by swapping in chopped nuts and a low carbohydrate flour for the flour and oats.
How to make No Added Sugar Apple Crisp
Prep: 30 minutes
Yield: 10 servings
- Preheat your oven to 350 and prep a rimmed baking sheet for nonstick. I like to use parchment paper for this recipe as it makes it easier to transfer the baked apple crisp and clean up my baking mess.😉
- Place your apples in a large bowl and sprinkle a teaspoon of the pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon along with the brown sugar alternative on top and toss. Then add in a half cup of the flour and toss again.
- Evenly spread the apples over your prepared baking sheet.
- Next, place the remaining flour in a mixing bowl and cut the cold pieces on butter into it. If you do not have a pastry blender, you can try using two forks to do the cutting. When the mixture resembles small peas you can stir in the remaining pumpkin pie spice, oats, chopped walnuts, maple syrup (alternative) and the vanilla extract.
- After the mixture is well combined you can carefully use a large spoon to distribute it over the apples that you placed on the baking sheet. Make sure the this topping is as evenly placed as possible.
- Bake the crisp for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the apple mixture is bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
- Let the crisp cool for a few minutes before serving.
Expert Tip👉 To store apple crisp in the freezer, first wrap it tightly in several layers of plastic wrap, aluminum foil or in a freezer-safe container. When you are ready to eat the leftover apple crisp, thaw it overnight in your refrigerator. Then you can reheat it in the oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until it is heated through and the topping is golden brown.
👇 Have you seen these popular recipes? 👇
In case you missed it.
- Easy sugar free apple crisp recipe
- What is the difference between an apple crisp and an apple crumble?
- What to know about baking with apples.
- Here are some tips for making an apple crisp recipe with oatmeal.
- How to store homemade apple crisp.
- About no added sugar apple crisp
The Recipe Card for No Added Sugar Apple Crisp.
No Added Sugar Apple Crisp.
- Preheat your oven to 350 and prep a rimmed baking sheet for nonstick.
- Place your apples in a large bowl and sprinkle a teaspoon of the pumpkin pie spice along with the brown sugar alternative on top and toss. Then add a half cup of the flour and toss again.
- Evenly spread the tossed apples over your prepared baking sheet.
- Next, place the remaining flour in a mixing bowl and cut the cold pieces of butter into it. When the mixture resembles small peas you can stir in the remaining pumpkin pie spice, oats, chopped walnuts, maple syrup (alternative) and the vanilla extract.
- When the mixture is well combined you can carefully use a large spoon to distribute it over the apples that you placed on the baking sheet.
- Bake the crisp for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the apple mixture is bubbling and the topping is golden brown. Let the crisp cool for a few minutes before serving.
Also, please see the actual recipe post for further details on this recipe. Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that are used. See thesugarfreediva.com for details on this recipe.
*About Sugar Alternatives
Specific sugar alternatives are not given in the recipes presented on this site. Only suggestions are given as to the 'kind' of alternative to use. It is up to you to select the alternative to use that suits your needs best. If the recipe is heated or cooked, it is best to use an alternative that can be heated or cooked with for best results. This site does not endorse any specific ingredients,
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!
No Added Sugar Apple Crisp. An easy and healthier delicious apple dessert recipe made with fresh apples and oats baked on a sheet pan.
Please see recipe post for further details on this recipe.
Thanks so much for visiting thesugarfreediva.com!
If you decide to make this recipe, please @thesugarfreediva on social to let me know how it turned out for you.
Looking for a recipe that is not on my site?
Please let me know and I will work on getting that recipe for you. Happy baking, eating, and enjoying life! Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can thus however, vary especially with ingredients that are used.