Sugar Free Thumbprint Cookies are a yummy cookie idea that is inspired by a traditional cookie that is often enjoyed during the holiday season.
Made with no added sugar, these shortbread style cookies are buttery and crisp with a jam filled thumbprint center making them a popular choice.
Classic thumbprint cookies with no added sugar.
Known as buttery tasting cookie with a flavor filled center, this is a colorful cookie in addition to being a crowd pleaser.
I like that the center in these cookies can be filled with about anything from jam to chocolate.
Did you try my recipe for Sugar Free Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies?
Those chocolate cookies are made with no added sugar or eggs. Both this recipe for a classic thumbprint cookie and that recipe for a chocolate cookies are made with no added sugar and would be great when served together at a party or gathering.
To make this recipe you will need almond extract. You can find almond extract here.
What is a thumbprint cookie?
Thumbprint cookies are a classic or traditional cookie that has been around for a long time. These cookies are known for their unique appearance.
Thumbprint cookies are classically round cookies with a center indentation.
That center indentation can be filled with colorful jam, chocolate, or even nuts. They are called 'thumbprint' because that center indentation is commonly made by pressing a thumb into the center of the cookie dough.
Tips for making the best sugar free thumbprint cookies.
These cookie are made with all purpose flour. You can however make these cookies keto low carb by using keto low carb all purpose flour.
More helpful tips for you.
- Butter is an essential ingredient in this recipe and for best results, should not be substituted for in this recipe. This is because butter gives these cookies that buttery flavor while contributing to the needed structure for holding the ingredients in the center properly.
- This is one of those cookies that the dough will need to be refrigerated before the cookies are made. Refrigerating the dough will both make it easier to make that thumbprint indent and help keep the cookie from spreading too much while baking.
- While you could use your thumb to make dent the center of these cookies, using a wine cork instead can give your cookies a more uniform look.
- The centers of my cookies are filled with strawberry jam. You can use my recipe for Sugar Free Strawberry Jam or find sugar free strawberry jam here.
How to store thumbprint cookies.
Once these cookies have fully cooled and the center filling has set, they can be stored in an airtight container. When properly stored, these cookies should keep for about five days at room temperature or up to a couple of months when frozen. If you are storing the cookies in layers, be sure to use a pieces of parchment paper between the layers as well.
Here are some similar recipes that you may also like.
- Sugar Free Caramel Thumbprint Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Sugar Free Peanut Butter Cookies
- Sugar Free Keto Pistachio Thumbprint Cookies
- Keto Peanut Butter Cookies
- Sugar Free Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cookies
- No Bake Sugar Free Chocolate Cookies
- Sugar Free Strawberry Sandwich Cookies
- No sugar added oatmeal and raisin cookies
Keep up to date with my recipes.
What we love about classic thumbprint cookies.
- Thumbprint cookies can be easily customized which makes them perfect for any time of the year.
- Filling the center of these cookies with Sugar Free Jam makes these a classic cookie for the holiday season.
- Adding a nutty topping gives thumbprint cookies added flavor along with a crunchy element.
- Thumbprint cookies are made with basic ingredients commonly used to make cookies.
- These cookies are easy to make and popular to serve!
- Thumbprint cookies can be made without adding sugar!
How to serve jam filled thumbprint cookies.
- Serve these cookies as is with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk.
- Add these cookies to a platter of holiday inspired cookies for a gathering or party.
- Drizzle a bit of Sugar Free Ganache over these cookies for added flavor.
- Break these cookies in half and serve them in a bowl of Sugar Free Ice Cream
Ingredients needed to make thumbprint cookies made with no added sugar.
- Flour. All purpose flour flour was used to make my cookie. You can however use a low carb all purpose flour or gluten free all purpose flour as long as it measures and bakes like all purpose flour.
- Butter. Your butter should be softened to room temperature. If you are using unsalted butter, add a half teaspoon of salt to the flour.
- Sugar Alternative. For best results, use a granular sugar alternative that measures like sugar and that can also be baked with.
- Eggs. The eggs should be at room temperature for better blending. These eggs are separate from the egg white which will be used for the outside of the cookies.
- Almond Extract. This gives the cookies a wonderful touch of almond flavor.
- Chopped Nuts. While optional, these really add to the flavor and texture of these cookies. I like walnuts and roasted peanuts for this recipe.
- Egg White. The egg white is brushed over the cookie to add a bit of golden color while helping the cookie hold on to the chopped nuts. Also, the egg white should be beaten lightly with a fork until slightly frothy to make it easier to dip and coat the cookie dough.
- Jam. Sugar free strawberry jam is used to fill the thumbprint centers of these cookies. You can find sugar free jams here.
Expert Tip👉 The nutty topping on these cookies is optional. However, the topping does give these cookies a wonderful crunchy element with an added bit of flavor.
How to make Sugar Free Thumbprint Cookies
Preparation Time - 20 mins
Chill Time - 1 hour
Baking Time - 12 mins
Total Time - 1 hour 35 mins
Makes 16-18 Cookies
- In a medium bowl, use a whisk to combine together the flour with the salt (for unsalted butter use). If you are using salted butter, omit the added salt and just give your flour a quick whisking to break up any lumps.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter with the sugar alternative on medium speed until creamy (about two to three minutes).
- Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl and then beat in the eggs and almond extract. Then scrape down the sides of the bowl again.
- Add the flour from the first bowl to the mixing bowl and beat until just incorporated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate the dough for at least and hour.
- When you are ready to make your cookies, preheat the oven to 350 and prepare your baking sheets for nonstick. I like to use parchment paper or a baking mat for a recipe such as this one.
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk the egg white until it begins to turn frothy. Also, in a shallow bowl, place your chopped nuts.
- Use a small cookie scoop to scoop out the cookie dough. Roll the dough into a ball and then dip it first into the whisked egg white and then into the chopped nuts.
Place the cookies on to your prepared baking sheet. Use your thumb or similar sized object to make the indentations into the center of the cookies. Then use a teaspoon to fill the center of the cookies with the jam.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies turn golden brown around the edges.
- Let the cookies cool on the pan for five minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
Expert Tip👉 When making the thumbprint indentation, press down just enough to make a dent but not too much that the cookie loses its shape.
👇 Have you seen these popular recipes? 👇
In case you missed something.
- Classic thumbprint cookies with no added sugar.
- What is a thumbprint cookie?
- Tips for making the best sugar free thumbprint cookies.
- How to store thumbprint cookies.
- What we love about classic thumbprint cookies.
- How to serve jam filled thumbprint cookies.
- Ingredients needed to make thumbprint cookies made with no added sugar.
- How to make Sugar Free Thumbprint Cookies
The Recipe Card for Sugar Free Thumbprint Cookies
Sugar Free Thumbprint Cookies
- In a medium bowl, use a whisk to combine together the flour with the salt (for unsalted butter use).
- Next, in a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter with the sugar alternative on medium speed until creamy.
- Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl and then beat in the eggs and almond extract. Then scrape down the sides of the bowl again. Add the flour from the first bowl to the mixing bowl and beat until just incorporated.
- Cover the mixing bowl and refrigerate the dough for at least and hour.
- When you are ready to make your cookies, preheat the oven to 350 and prepare your baking sheets for nonstick.
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk the egg white until it begins to turn frothy. Then, in a shallow bowl, place your chopped nuts.
- Use a small cookie scoop to scoop out the cookie dough. Roll the dough into a ball and then dip it first into the egg white and then into the chopped nuts.
- Place the cookies on to your prepared baking sheet. Use your thumb or similar sized object to make the indentations into the center of the cookies. Then use a teaspoon to fill the center of the cookies with the jam.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies turn golden brown around the edges. Let the cookies cool on the pan for five minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
Also, please see the actual recipe post for further details on this recipe. Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that are used. See thesugarfreediva.com for details on this recipe.
*About Sugar Alternatives
Specific sugar alternatives are not given in the recipes presented on this site. Only suggestions are given as to the 'kind' of alternative to use. It is up to you to select the alternative to use that suits your needs best. If the recipe is heated or cooked, it is best to use an alternative that can be heated or cooked with for best results. This site does not endorse any specific ingredients,
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!
Sugar Free Thumbprint Cookies, a delicious recipe for a buttery cookie dessert treat with a jam filled center. Keto LC option.
Please see recipe post for further details on this recipe.
Thanks so much for visiting thesugarfreediva.com!
If you decide to make this recipe, please @thesugarfreediva on social to let me know how it turned out for you.
Looking for a recipe that is not on my site?
Please let me know and I will work on getting that recipe for you. Happy baking, eating, and enjoying life! Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can thus however, vary especially with ingredients that are used.
This recipe was updated 11/23.
Here is the original recipe.
Ingredients that you will need to make this Sugar Free Thumbprint Cookie recipe.
- All Purpose Flour- 1 ¾ cups.
To make this low carb, use a low carb all purpose flour.
Also, to make this keto use a keto all purpose flour.
Lastly, to make this recipe gluten free, use an all purpose gluten free flour.
Also, if you are using Almond flour, please add an additional egg to the batter to aid in the binding process. I suggest anyone using any of the all purpose flour alternatives check the packaging to see if an additional egg or other binder for gluten free baking is needed as well.
- Ground Cinnamon- ½ teaspoon.
- Baking Powder- ¾ teaspoon.
- Butter- 13 tablespoons. That is one stick plus 5 tablespoons. Have your butter softened to room temperature.
- Sugar Alternative- ½ cup equivalent to sugar. Please use a granular sugar alternative that measures 1:1 with sugar.
- Egg- 1 whisked.
- Vanilla Extract-1 teaspoon.
- Sugar Free Jam - ⅓ cup. You can use my recipe for use my Sugar Free Strawberry Jam.
How to make Sugar Free Thumbprint Cookies
- Preheat your oven to 325. Prep your cookie sheets with Parchment Paper . I mentioned above that refrigerating your dough can help make the rolling process easier for you which means that you can preheat your oven when you are ready to make these cookies.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, and the baking powder.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl, beat together the softened butter with the sugar alternative. You want this to become fluffy which can take 3-5 minutes to do. Keep in mind that it will not look 100% like it would if you were using real sugar.
- When your sugar alternative and butter have been beaten until fluffy, add the dry ingredients from the first bowl to the mixing bowl. Do this by adding half of the dry ingredients at a time, stirring between additions.
Then mix in the egg and vanilla.
- Use a scoop (such as one of these scoops) to scoop up your dough. Use your hands to roll the dough into shape if needed. Place the cookie on to your prepped cookie sheets, allowing a couple of inches between each cookie. Then bake the cookies for five minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and use your thumb (or wine cork or similar shaped object) to make the indent in the center of each cookie. Use a teaspoon to place jam into the center of the cookie, Place the cookie sheets back into the oven and continue to bake for another 8-10 minutes or until they begin to turn golden around the edges.