325 79 4.6K 1 3
Sugar Free Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins are actually a legal food to eat.
I say that because these muffins seem to be the best of all worlds.
Sugar Free Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
Is there really a difference between a chocolate brownie, chocolate cake, a chocolate cupcake, and a chocolate muffin?
Technically, maybe one or two ingredients could differ. Usually, those ingredients will be the leavening ingredient (baking powder etc) or the liquid that is added (such as milk). Well, and what you bake it in of course.
The muffin reminds me of a movie that has had certain parts of it toned down for TV viewing.
While the movie will be rid of certain words or scenes, the muffin may have less decadence such as sweet flavoring. After all, the muffin is something that could be suitable for breakfast while the cupcake, cake, or brownie can be more of a dessert. I like to think of the chocolate muffin as a ‘legal’ way to eat a chocolate cake-ish for breakfast.
This chocolate chocolate chip muffin does have a double dose of chocolate.
We will be adding sugar free chocolate chips (the chocolate chip part). Also, we will add unsweetened cocoa for the other chocolate. You can find sugar free chocolate chips, as well as unsweetened chocolate that can be broken down, online. Any kind of unsweetened cocoa should work okay for this recipe as well.
If you are looking for other great sugar free muffin recipe than I have you covered for that.
Sugar free blueberry muffins are a popular choice. I also have a sugar free cornbread muffin and a recipe for no sugar added chocolate chip and banana muffin.
The Recipe for Sugar Free Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
I usually use sugar free chocolate chips to make these muffins. However, you could also use unsweetened chocolate which you have broken up. A granular sugar alternative is recommended as well.
What you need to make this recipe.
- Flour (AP)- 2 cups.
- Sugar alternative- 1 cup equivalent to sugar. Granular is preferred.
- Baking Powder- 2 teaspoons.
- Baking Soda- 1 teaspoon.
- Unsweetened Cocoa- 1/2 cup.
- Vegetable Oil- 1/2 cup.
- Milk- 1 1/4 cup.
- Vanilla Extract- 1 teaspoon.
- Sugar Free Chocolate Chips-1/2 cup for batter and then another 1/4 cup to top muffins with.
How to make this recipe.
- Preheat your oven to 400 and prep your pans for nonstick.
- In a mixing bowl, combine together the flour, sugar alternative, baking powder,baking soda, and unsweetened cocoa. Set this bowl aside.
- Using another bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, milk, vanilla extract, and egg.
- Mix the contents of the second bowl of wet ingredients into the first mixing bowl of dry ingredients. Then gently blend in the chocolate chips.
- Fill each muffin cup about 2/3rds and then top with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.If using a toothpick to test for doneness, take into consideration that the melted chocolate chips may give you a false result.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing muffins from the pan to allow the chips to set.