Sugar Free Blueberry Muffins
I really should have named this recipe “low or no sugar added” blueberry muffins.
Here is the bad news. Fresh blueberries contain about 15 grams of sugar per cup. Thus, making a truly 100% sugar free blueberry muffin is nearly impossible unless you can find a sugar free blueberry somewhere. When you do, please alert me as I would love to try one.
However, if you are following a diabetic diet, you probably know that blueberries have a diabetic exchange of 3/4 cup.
You also know that the sugar in blueberries is a natural sugar. Thus, we will use it modestly in this recipe to keep the sugar added as low as possible. We got this- right?
This is a pretty classic muffin recipe.
By “classic” I mean that the other ingredients that we will add are pretty standard for a muffin recipe.
We will be using a sugar alternative. A granular alternative, such as Splenda works best. You can use the alternative of your choice as long as the amount that you use is the equivalent in amount to what is stated in the recipe.
You can make this low(er) carb.
One cup of blueberries has a net carb count of about 17 grams. Divide this between a dozen muffins and you will only be adding an additional carb per muffin. You will also need to use a low carb flour such as Carbalose. Alternatively, you can make this gluten free by using a gluten free all purpose flour. I like options 🙂 .
By the way, I also have other great sugar free muffin recipes.
Check out my sugar free cornbread muffin recipe. I also have a sugar free pumpkin spice muffin recipe and a chocolate chip banana muffin recipe as well.
The recipe for Sugar Free Blueberry Muffins
Here is what you will need to make this recipe.
- Butter- 1 stick softened.
- Sugar Alternative- 1 cup equivalent to sugar, granular works best.
- Eggs- 2.
- Flour All Purpose (see post for low carb or gluten free alternatives)- 2 cups.
- Salt- 1/2 teaspoon.
- Baking powder- 2 teaspoons.
- Vanilla Extract- 1 1/2 teaspoon.
- Unsweetened almond milk- 1/2 cup (can use Greek Yogurt or if you must keep it strict sugar free, water- not recommended for taste).
- Blueberries- 1 cup fresh.
- Additional granular sugar alternative if desired for topping.
How to make Sugar Free Blueberry Muffins
- Preheat your oven to 375 prep your muffin pans for nonstick. I am a fan of parchment paper used as liners however, you can use what works best for you.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together your butter, sugar alternative, and eggs.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the dry ingredeints flour, salt and baking powder.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the first mixing bowl and cream together.
- Gently mix in the vanilla extract and the almond milk.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and by hand, gently fold in the blueberries. Do not over mix as this will break up the blueberries.
- Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 of the way. Sprinkle the tops with additional sugar alternative if desired. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Allow to cool before serving.