This is really an EASY Sugar Free Strawberry Shortcake .
I like that it reminds me of the season.
EASY Sugar Free Strawberry Shortcake
I love that this can be made without adding any additional sugar to the recipe.
All of the sugar that is in this shortcake comes from the strawberries.
One average strawberry has about .6 grams of sugar in it.
For those of us counting the carbohydrates, there are about net .7 in each strawberry. Also, if you are counting calories, each strawberry has under five.
Strawberry Shortcake is basically a cake and a biscuit.
While we may think it is really a cake, it can also be described as a glorified biscuit.
However, you could also classify this as a cake if you really wanted to.
What makes a Strawberry Shortcake unique is that it is part biscuit.
We call it a shortcake because the biscuit ingredients form a ‘shortened dough’. That is, the liquid ingredients do just what they need to do, or the minimum, when it comes to moistened the dough. As a result we get a crumbling cake.
Perhaps it is the moisture that we layer the biscuit with that makes for the perfect shortcake.
As mentioned, the biscuit is a dry one. That is, we add just enough liquid ingredients to it to hold the biscuit together just enough to not fall apart.
However, the liquids that are not part of the biscuit itself that balance out the dryness.
The strawberries are juicy and sweet which helps. Also we use whipped cream to help moisten the biscuit and pick up those crumbs when we eat it.
You will need to use a couple of recipes that I have already posted in order to make this.
The first recipe is for the biscuits. The biscuits are the essential part of this recipe that will make for the cake.
Homemade Low Carb Biscuits
Also, you will need my Sugar Free Whipped Cream recipe.
Sure, you could use any whipped cream. However, this is how to make it without adding a bunch of sugar.
A note about strawberries.
In a perfect world, strawberries would be in season and readily available. However, in this world, the may be an instance to have to resort to frozen strawberries rather than the fresh kind. In saying that, I would like to remind you that you should use the kind of strawberries that are NOT packaged in sugar.
Add some sugar free strawberry jam to this recipe for an extra taste of ‘wow’.
You really could use jam with or without the strawberries.
Here are some similar recipes that you may also like.
- Homemade Sugar Free Strawberry Jelly.
- Weight Watchers Okay Strawberry Smoothie.
- Sugar Free Strawberry Cupcakes.
Keep up to date with my recipes
You can check out my guide on baking with sugar alternatives on Amazon
I have some great tips on which alternatives may work in a recipe such as this one.
The recipe for EASY Sugar Free Strawberry Shortcake
What you will need to make this EASY Sugar Free Strawberry Shortcake
Add some sugar free strawberry jam to make this even better!
- Homemade Low Carb Biscuits– 1 batch, baked and cooled.
- Sugar Free Whipped Cream– 1- 1/2 cups.
- Strawberries– 1 to 1 1/2 quarts. If using prepacked or frozen, please make sure that they are not packaged with additional sugar.
- Optional- Sugar Free Strawberry jam.
How to make EASY Sugar Free Strawberry Shortcake
- Prepare the Homemade Low Carb Biscuits as directed. Allow the biscuits to cool and then split them horizontally in half.
- When ready to serve, place a dollop of whipped cream along with cut strawberries in the center of each split biscuit. Then top with additional whipped cream and strawberries as desired. You can also add the optional strawberry jam with your strawberries.
- Serve immediately.
Thanks so much for visiting!
If you decide to make this recipe, please stop back and let me know how it turned out for you. Also, if you have any tips or tweaks to the recipe to share, please do so in the comment section below. My readers like to stop by periodically for updates on the recipes. Reading the comments below is helpful to these readers and hopefully to you too!!
Looking for a recipe that is not on my site?
Please let me know and I will will on getting that recipe for you.
Happy baking, eating, and enjoying life!
About the biscuit ingredients.
You can use a regular biscuit recipe or premade biscuits if you are not concerned with carbohydrates.Simply skip my instructions for low carb biscuits and use your own biscuits instead.
However, you can make this recipe gluten free by using gluten free flour instead of regular flour. Or, you can make this recipe low carb by using low carb Carbalose flour. You can sub in Almond flour if Carbalose in unavailable.
I also provide you with a quick low carb biscuit recipe on the biscuit recipe page.
This is the baking mix that contains Carbalose. Use it for biscuits, pancakes, and waffles etc.
The Recipe Card for EASY Sugar Free Strawberry Shortcake
EASY Sugar Free Strawberry Shortcake
- Prepare the Homemade Low Carb Biscuits as directed. Allow the biscuits to cool and then split them horizontally in half
- When ready to serve, place a dollop of whipped cream along with cut strawberries in the center of each split biscuit. Then top with additional whipped cream and strawberries as desired. You can also add the optional strawberry jam with your strawberries. Serve immediately.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected.
You can see items that have been featured on my Sugar Free Sunday Spotlight here.