Sugar Free Copycat Nutella
People seem to like their hazelnut spread.
Most homemade hazelnut spreads come with a lot of sugar unfortunately. With that sugar comes the calories and everything else that people, like myself, seem to dread. You may know exactly what I mean.
This spread has certainly made the hazelnut famous however.
Before the hazelnut spread craze, you may not have ever eaten a hazelnut before. I know that I never had one unless it was part of a bowl of mixed nuts that was set out at a party or similar gathering. Hazelnuts actually have a bit of protein and fiber. More than many other nuts as well.
Finding actual hazelnuts can be a challenge
I know that if I were to search locally for a hazelnut, I would totally have a challenge on my hands. Recently, even finding macadamia nuts has been a challenge in these parts. So, I went online to find hazelnuts on Amazon. I was excited to see the Trader Joe brand there as well.
We need our hazelnuts to be roasted.
To roast hazelnuts, simply place them into a toaster oven. or regular oven, and roast at 350 for 15-18 minutes. You can use a regular baking sheet to roast them on.
You will also need some chocolate chips for this Sugar Free Copycat Nutella recipe.
Since we are sticking to our sugar free idea here, you will need sugar free chocolate chips. Luckily, Amazon also has sugar free chocolate chips for us to use. I go through a lot of these in my cooking and baking…
As an alternative to chocolate chips you can use unsweetened cocoa powder.
Be sure to use the cocoa powder with no sugar added. You can find unsweetened cocoa powder on Amazon as well. The difference in taste between the chocolate chips and the cocoa would be as expected. The cocoa alternative would give this a more ‘cocoa taste’ while the chocolate chips would be more of a chocolate taste.
I roasted raw hazelnuts in my toaster oven.
It’s okay to buy the raw hazelnuts however. Thus, you can roast hazelnuts yourself in an oven or toaster oven. Simply place them on a baking sheet at 350 for 15-18 minutes. Halfway through, shuffle the hazelnuts around a bit. When they are done, allow to cool and then carefully remove the shells. Thus, your hazelnuts will be ready to use.
The Recipe for Sugar Free Copycat Nutella
This is actually a lot easier than you may think it is.
What you will need to make this.
- Roasted Hazelnuts Skinned–1 Cup,see post for more details
- Canola Oil–1 Teaspoon
- Your choice of Sugar Alternative -1 Tablespoon equivalent to sugar
- Sugar Free Chocolate Chips–1/2 Cup or No sugar added Cocoa Powder 1/4 cup
- Greek Yogurt–1 Tablespoon
How to make this recipe.
- If hazelnuts are not roasted and skinned, do so by roasting them in a 350 oven for 15-18 minutes. Allow them to cool and then remove the skins
- Place your chocolate chips in a microwave safe cup and melt them in the microwave. I set my microwave on medium high and melt in 20 second increments stirring between increments. You can melt them over a double boiler if preferred. Don’t forget to stir.
- In a food processor, process your hazelnuts and oil together for about a minute or until they become somewhat pasty.
- Add your yogurt, sugar alternative and the cocoa (if using cocoa) to the food processor and continue to blend. You will need to stop the processor a few times to scrape the sides to ensure that everything is blending together.
- If using chocolate chips, add your melted chocolate chips (if using chocolate chips) and pulse your food processor a few times until blended. However, if you are using the cocoa method you can skip this step.
While you are here, you may also enjoy these most noteworthy, especially relevant recipe as well.