The first time that I added Vodka to my pasta sauce, I was amazed at how good it tasted.
Vodka sauce seems to be a pretty popular sauce to serve with pasta.
Penne Pasta in Vodka Sauce
We are always making homemade pasta sauce around here
There are no passed on through the generations recipes that we use. I only wish that I had some recipes passed down to me. But, I am not that lucky.
I started making my own pasta sauce one summer when I had an abundant crop of tomatoes.
I was astounded to see how easy pasta sauce is to make from scratch. I like that when I make pasta sauce from scratch, I know everything that is going into the sauce. I like having control of the ingredients going into the food that I make for my family to eat.
There are some folks who say that the cheaper the Vodka, the better it is to use.
The Vodka that you use is really a personal choice.
I have heard that the cheap Vodka is best for cooking with while the expensive stuff is the best to enjoy in the glass. I am not a huge Vodka drinker so, the cheaper the better seems to work for me when it comes to cooking.
The recipe for the Vodka Sauce
What you will need to make this.
- Plum/Roma tomatoes- About 2 pounds, chopped and peeled (yes, you can cheat by using a 28 ounce can of tomatoes)
- Onion- 1 medium chopped
- Garlic- 2 cloves chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil- 2 tablespoons
- Vodka- 1 cup
- Greek Yogurt or Heavy Cream- 1 1/2 cups
- Seasonings to taste- basil, oregano, pepper, salt, etc.
How to make the Vodka Sauce.
- Over medium heat in a medium sized skillet, saute your onion and garlic until tender- about 4-5 minutes.
- Next, add your Vodka and allow it to cook for 5 minutes, stirring as you go.
- Add your tomatoes and seasonings to the skillet and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Stir in your your yogurt/cream and continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Serve over pasta of your choice, cooked as designated.