Grilled Portobello Mushrooms Burgers are a great way to up the ante on what would otherwise be a boring barbecue. We enjoy this meatless burger on our grill year round.
Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers
A few years ago we switched from regular beef burgers to Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers
This was an easy switch for us to do. To us, switching was more about the priorities in our diet.
Sure, a basic hamburger that comes from a fast food or other restaurant is iconic.
Hamburger meat is loaded in protein and iron, something that a mushroom is not. A beef burger has fat that I have been told to cut out of my diet.
Eating a vegan alternative is an option to that iconic beef hamburger.
Eating a Portobello mushroom burger is a great alternative to the beef hamburger. Portobello mushrooms are relatively low in calories and fat. Thus, they may seem to be the healthy choice.
However, portobello mushrooms do not have all of the protein and iron that beef has in it.
They do not really have a lot of other nutrients as well.
The good news is that Portobello mushrooms can be dressed up to look just like that delicious hamburger that just came off of the grill.
You can eat a sliced portobello mushroom cap inside of a bun. Also, that mushroom can be topped with ketchup, lettuce, cheese and everything else that a burger can be topped with. Even mushrooms!
When I discovered how delicious a grilled portobello mushroom actually is, I couldn’t believe how good it tasted as well.
You will find that the grilled portobello mushroom is easy to make.
Grilled portobello mushrooms are not just for vegans.
Non-vegans seem to like these just the same. Therefore, they are popular to eat.
Eating a grilled portobello mushroom burger can be enjoyed by anyone. Vegetarians, low carb folks, and people on a diet eat this beef-less burger. Serve this tasty burger without the bun for a gluten-free feel. Thus, this is a great addition to your grill.
The trick to serving the grilled portobello mushroom as a burger is to treat it just like you would treat a regular hamburger.
Serve it on a bun or a roll or alone. Top this portobello mushroom burger with your favorite condiments. Melt cheese on it and you will have something special that will also impress others.
The truth is, the The grilled portobello burger is a tasty alternative to the regular beef burger. It is quite easy to make as well.
I find it essential to start off by cleaning your portobello mushroom.
I use a paper towel to wipe off the dirt from the top. Some people will rinse their portobello mushrooms under running water. Since the mushroom is more porous than many other vegetables, I prefer to just wipe down the cap.Then, hold on to the cap and gently pull off the stem.Flip the mushroom over and scoop out the ‘gills’, using a spoon. As a result, the mushroom will be ready for grilling.
How to grill a portobello mushroom
What you will need to do this.
- Portobello Mushrooms- 4 caps cleaned and without stems (see above)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (can use other oil if desired)
- Seasonings to taste- salt, pepper, oregano, etc
- Roasted Red Peppers- enough for each burger
- Blue or other Cheese- enough for each burger (about 1/2-3/4 cup total)
- Bun if desired.
- Lettuce or similar green
How to grill your mushroom.
- Place the mushrooms in a dish with the cap side up. Brush each portobello mushroom cap with oil and then top with desired seasonings.Allow to sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Prep for nonstick and preheat your grill to a medium heat, or use an area of a larger grill that is not directly over the heat.
- Grill each side of the mushroom for 6-8 minutes, adding more of your olive oil and seasoning each time you flip.
- Serve on a bun with lettuce, if desired, and top with cheese and peppers. You can also add the cheese to the mushroom as it grills to get melted cheese.
It seems like we eat this every time that we grill.
We like them because they are so easy to prepare. Maybe it is also because they look really good as well since we are hungry for something warm.
I would rather eat this without the bun while others in my home eat this with the bun.
Most of all, we just like grilling.