This 3 Cheese Lobster Macaroni and Cheese is the perfect comfort food for this time of the year.
It is not only impressive, it is delicious.
3 Cheese Lobster Macaroni and Cheese
I know what you are thinking.
That is because it is the same thing that I was thinking when I first thought of this. Lobster just seems like such an extravagant food to add to one of our favorite comfort foods. Not everyone has lobster or eats lobster.
Hold on for a moment. Lobster is just an idea.
If you are lucky enough to live somewhere that has plenty of lobster, you can probably easily grasp the idea of such a dish. However, to the rest of us, it is almost like a bucket list idea for a food fantasy. We all have those right?
The idea of adding lobster to your mac and cheese is just an idea.
In a perfect, or lottery winning, world, we all would live somewhere that has plenty of lobster that we could easily buy. We would even enjoy it. However, we do not. At least, I know that I do not. And, I am not the person who will go through that entire lobster boiling process either.
Thankfully, there are alternatives in this world.
For those of us who want to buy lobster meat, we can do so online. Amazon sell lobster meat online. Amazon also has imitation lobster meat. You could also use imitation crabmeat or shrimp.
Whatever kind of meat you are using, it should be precooked and ready to go for this recipe.
You will also need three kinds of cheese.
The first cheese is Parmesan cheese which will be divided and added as a topping as well.
We will also be adding cheddar cheese. This cheese will give our mac and cheese a sharp taste that will really help bring out the richness of the lobster (or whatever you decide to use). I prefer the sharp cheddar as well.
Lastly, we will use Gruyere cheese. Gruyere is a popular cheese to use in similar recipes. However, Gruyere is not always easy to find or affordable to buy. Since Gruyere is a kind of Swiss cheese (who knew right?) you could easily sub in a Swiss cheese. You can buy Swiss cheese anywhere.
3 Cheese Lobster Macaroni and Cheese
This recipe is as simple as adding the ingredients to the baking dish and baking it.
The hard part is making the “cheese sauce” that will part of what is added to the baking dish.
What you will need to make this recipe.
- Butter- 6 tablespoons cut
- Flour (AP)- 1/3 cup.
- Milk, Buttermilk, or Greek Yogurt- 3 1/2 cups (Refer to this post- How to use Greek Yogurt in recipes to learn more.)
- Gruyere Cheese- 2 cups (see post for alternative).
- Cheddar Cheese- 2 cups (the sharper, the better…).
- Parmesan Cheese- 2 cups divided.
- Seasonings- such as pepper, salt, cayenne etc- to taste.
- Macaroni, corkscrew, penne or similar pasta- 1 pound (16 ounces) cooked.
- Lobster or other meat- 1 1/2 pounds cooked.
- Bread Crumbs or Crackers- 1- 1 1/2 cups.
- Butter- 2 1/2 tablespoons melted.
How to make this.
We will start by making the sauce. We will then move the ingredients over to a large baking dish. I prep my dish with olive oil to prevent sticking. Also, preheat your oven to 350. Also, it would help to prevent sticking if your prep the pot for nonstick as well. I simply use vegetable spray for this.
- Heat a large pot on medium heat, melt your butter, stirring as needed.
- Add your flour to the melted butter and continue to stir. Then add the milk (preheating the milk will help the process). Turn down the heat to a simmer and whisk continually until the mixture becomes thickened- about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Add the Gruyere cheese, cheddar cheese and 1 cup of the Parmesan cheese and any desired seasonings. Mix a bit between additions to assure that they will evenly blend in.
- Now, mix in the pasta and then fold in the lobster meat.
- Spread the pasta mixture into your baking dish.
- Meanwhile, combine together the melted butter and bread crumbs along with any additional desired seasoning. Then spread this mixture over the pasta mixture that is in the baking dish. Lastly, sprinkle the remaining Parmesan Cheese over the dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the topping begins to brown. Remove from oven and allow to sit for a few minutes prior to serving.
If you like this recipe, you may also be interested in these similar recipes.