Get your dip ready for this Oven Baked Buffalo Cauliflower
This recipe is a great alternative to the usual fried Buffalo food out there.
Oven Baked Buffalo Cauliflower
I am one of those people who is rediscovering cauliflower.
To be honest, I was never a huge fan of the vegetable. First of all, I always thought it was not the prettiest of veggies. Green vegetables just seem so much more attractive to me when they are placed on a plate in front of me to eat. Also, cauliflower never seemed to have a lot of great taste, in my opinion.
Then I started to see cauliflower used in different ways.
When I say “different ways” I mean that there really is a lot of ways in which we can eat cauliflower. Cauliflower has proven to be a perfect alternative for chicken in many recipes. This would be one of those recipes.
Oven baked buffalo cauliflower is the dieter’s or vegan’s answer to chicken wings.
When I look at these oven baked buffalo cauliflower, I think they look so much like buffalo chicken wings. Also, they don’t look much different as well. Hence, cauliflower is a great substitute for the chicken wings that some folks seem to like so much.
It is true that cauliflower can be prepared in many ways.
This is a good thing as I have mentioned, they are kind of plain on their own.
A while back I posted a recipe for Roasted Cauliflower in Garlic Cheese Sauce. I also posted a recipe for mashed cauliflower which is an excellent substitute for mashed potatoes. You could never tell that these are cauliflower dishes if nobody told you.
This recipe calls for Buffalo sauce.
You can find regular Buffalo Sauce on Amazon. If you are like me and would rather skip the sugar that comes in sauces, hence the “Sugar Free” thing, there are alternatives. I found sugar free and low carb sauces on Amazon. Barbecue sauce sauce will also give you a great taste as well.
We are essentially making an alternative to Buffalo Chicken.
In doing so, we are using cauliflower. Luckily, we can buy cauliflower at most any grocery store.
The recipe for Oven Baked Buffalo Cauliflower
What you will need to make this recipe.
- Olive Oil- 3 tablespoons
- Cauliflower- 1 head broken up into florets.(about 6-7 cups)
- Seasonings such as salt- 1 teaspoon or as needed
- Sauce- such as Buffalo Sauce- 1/3 Cup (see post for alternatives)
- Lemon Juice- 1 tablespoon
- Optional- Butter tablespoon, seasonings to top with
How to make this
- Preheat your oven to 425 and prep a roasting or similar rimmed pan for nonstick.
- Place the cauliflower in a large bowl. Add your olive oil and seasonings to the bowl and toss the cauliflower with it. When your cauliflower is well covered with the oil, place it into the pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the cauliflower bakes, prepare the sauce by whisking it with the lemon juice. Yet, if adding the optional butter, whisk it into the sauce at this point.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and carefully add the sauce to the pan, tossing the cauliflower as needed to ensure that it is distributed.
- Return the cauliflower to the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until it starts to brown.
- Finally, serve with your favorite dip.
While you are here, you may also be interested in reading these recipes as well.