This is the recipe for Sugar Free Buttercream Icing. This is an easy recipe to make and is a delicious way to enjoy your favorite sugar free desserts.
Sugar Free Butter Cream Icing
Buttercream icing is so lush.
By lush, I mean that butter cream icing is just so full of flavor. Sometimes, I think that the butter cream icing is what makes the cupcake or cake. However, sometimes you just need to have that lush taste on the top of something yummy that you have baked.
Buttercream is NOT a low calorie icing.
The key word is ‘butter’ after all. I know this may sound like a ‘news flash’ however, my point is that just because we are using a sugar alternative in this recipe, it is not necessarily low calorie. This, I know that I need to eat it in moderation.
For me, the biggest problem with buttercream icing in general is all of the sugar in it.
After eating the buttercream I am usually in a sugar induced high. That high seems to only get higher with each bite that I take as well. As a result of this high, about an hour later I am not feeling so ‘high’ any more and thus, have hit my sugar crash.
Thankfully, for us sugar free folks, there is a way to have your cake and eat it too.
That can also go for the buttercream icing that goes on top of it.
A basic buttercream recipe calls for confectioners sugar. Obviously, confectioners sugar is indeed sugar. Thus, we will use a granular sugar alternative. The easy fix for this is to use in this recipe. You can use the granular alternative of your choice, however, I use SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated.
We will also need to use a wet ingredient.
Whipping cream can be used for a more lush icing. However, you can also use fat-free half-and-half or 1% milk instead. Sometimes, I like to use Greek Yogurt however, due to fat and consistency, Greek yogurt should be used in a higher fat variety and/or combined with a 1% milk. If you can tolerate the difference in taste and consistency, by all means stick to your Greek Yogurt as is.
The recipe for Sugar Free Buttercream Icing
What you will need to make this with.
- Granular Splenda or similar sugar alternative- 2 1/2 cups.
- Corn Starch -6 tablespoons.
- Butter- 2 sticks or 1 cup softened.
- Whipping Cream or Greek Yogurt or milk- 2 tablespoons.
- Vanilla Extract- 1 teaspoon
How to make Sugar Free Buttercream Icing
- Using an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, blend together your sugar alternative, cornstarch and butter on low until somewhat creamy.
- When the mixture is somewhat creamy you can then add your remaining ingredients and increase the speed of your mixer.
- Mix for 5-6 minutes or until you reach your intended consistency.
- Use immediately and refrigerate the leftovers.
- Please note- You can use a hand mixer for this however, an electric mixer will be a bit easier for you.