This Sugar Free Double Chocolate Skillet Cookie is really one decadent dessert!
Sugar Free Double Chocolate Skillet Cookie
I should probably call this cookie the cookie that burnt my hand.
That’s because after I took it out of the oven and reached over for something to cut it with, I forgot that the handle was so hot that I could actually burn my hand. I was over-taken my the sinful smell of this amsing delight. Needless to say, I learned my lesson.
This recipe is one of those recipes that you see somewhere and figure out how to adjust it to fit your needs
Adjusting this recipe is exactly what I did in order to make this with no added sugar, Thus, it is sugar free
The first time that I made this was actually a spur of the moment idea.
We had the delicious garlic shrimp and angel hair pasta dinner that was so filling.
This meal just needed an injection of chocolate to make it just right. That would also be the time that I burnt my hand on the skillet. Hence, the warning is out there for you as well that this is one hot skillet!
What could be better for an injection of chocolate than a warm skilled cookie with three kinds of chocolate in it?
Making this cookie low carb and sugar free was just part of the fun!
I decided to not only make this sugar free, but to make it low carb. Yet, it still looked, smelled, and tasted like heaven in a chocolate skillet of yummy. Thank goodness for that too!
There are a few special ingredients that are needed to make this both sugar free and low carb.
I used a low carb baking mix- Tova Carbquik Low Carb Bake Mix- which you can easily find on Amazon.
The goal is to use three different sources of chocolate. I’m using cocoa, milk chocolate bar, and chocolate chips- all sugar free.
Of course, the name of this recipe is “double chocolate” but, it may seem like it is triple chocolate. I personally would not complain with triple chocolate however, since two of the chocolate are actually in in similar forms (the candy bar and chocolate chips), I’m calling this a double chocolate. Does it really matter? 🙂
The recipe itself
- Coconut oil- 3/4 cup. Can use butter but, use 1 cup if you do.
- Coconut palm sugar- 1 cup (this is in lieu of brown sugar, can use a brown sugar alternative equivalent if desired)
- sugar alternative- 1/2 cup equivalent
- Vanilla Extract- 1 tablespoon
- Eggs- 2 cups
- Baking mix- I used low carb (see above)-2 cups
- No sugar added powdered cocoa- 1/3 cup
- Chocolate chips- I used sugar free, 1 bag.
- Sugar free candy bar broken up
How to make this:
You will need a cast iron skillet for this.
- Preheat your oven to 350
- In a mixing bowl, cream together your coconut oil, coconut palm sugar, sugar alternative, vanilla extract, and eggs.
- In another bowl, mix together your baking mix and cocoa.
- Add your dry ingredients to your creamed items, mixing as you go.
- Spread this mix into your skillet and then top with your remaining chocolate.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the center of the cookie appears to be done (to your liking)
- Carefully remove from oven and set in a safe place- use protection for your hands as this skillet will be hot.
- Spread the melted chocolate that is on the top around to ensure that the entire cookie is covered.