Summertime means that it is time to learn How to Make a Skinny Mojito.
How to Make a Skinny Mojito
I am always happy when I can make something ‘skinny’.
By ‘skinny’ I mean something that is sugar free. I also mean something that has fewer calories than it’s regular counterpart.
Rum is obviously an active ingredient in the Mojito.
However, there is not sugar in the rum. I had never embraced the Mojito in the past because I thought that the rum in it was full of sugar.But, now I know better.
This is the time of the year that we see a lot of Mojitos.
Mojitos are the drink that is all about the mint and how it interacts with rum. They are a clear drink that can be dressed up pretty thanks to the added mint. Perhaps, it is the mint in the recipe that has influenced the infused drink craze.
I never got into drinking the Mojito because I always assumed that the rum in it was full of sugar.
Rum is made from sugarcane byproducts, such as molasses or sugarcane juice. The experts say that rum is a distilled alcoholic beverage and that during the distilling process, the sugar gets lost and does not get into the rum that we drink.
If you have a garden full of mint, like I do, a Mojito can be the perfect drink.
However, if you do not have fresh mint there are alternatives that you can use instead.
I’ve heard that some folks will improvise by using other kinds of leaves, such as tarragon, and adding something minty like a crushed breath mint. I have never tried this and cannot recommend or pass judgement on it myself.
How to make a Sugar Free or Skinny Mojito
Here is what you will need to make the sugar free Mojito.
- Ice- enough to fill your glass
- Light Rum 6 Ounces or 2/3 cup
- Mint Sprigs- 8-12 broken up
- Sugar alternative- 1 tablespoon per serving (4 tablespoons for this recipe)
- Club soda or Sugar Free Lemon Lime soda 1/2 cup per serving (2 cups total for this recipe)
- 1 Lime cut into wedges.
How to make the Mojito
- Add ice to each glass.
- In a shaker add additional ice, rum, mint, and sugar alternative.
- Shake the ingredients in the shaker and then pour over the ice in each glass.
- Cover with club soda/lemon lime soda and garnish with limes.