83 6 1.5K 3
Low Carb Cheese Straws
I am that person who periodically goes low carb.
Sometimes I go low carb because I need to take off a few pounds. Other times I goes low carb because I need to clean up my ways.
Anyone who has been on a low carb diet can probably agree that going without bread products can be tough at times.
Especially those times when something, like a bread stick, goes perfectly with a meal. I often feel the same about pasta as well.
The good thing about this recipe is that there is a low carb work around.
This is one of those recipes that I use a low carb baking mix. This mix is a lot like a regular baking mix but, without all of the added carbs. You can find Carbquick Baking Mix online. It is an ingredient that I use quite often.
This is a recipe that I like to make when I make an Italian meal.
However, it is also a recipe that makes for a good snack as well. Thus, I like to make a few extras for later. Sounds like a good idea right?
Some recipes that you may like to include this recipe with can be found on my site.
You can check out my guide on baking with sugar alternatives on Amazon
I have some great tips on which alternatives may work in a recipe such as this one.
Cheese straws are a tasty bread idea that is paired with Italian style cooking.
They are also known as cheese sticks or bread sticks. Cheese straws really seem to be a combination of both cheese and bread it would seem. Even though cheese straws are delicious to eat, they can also be enjoyed while on a low carb diet.
Low Carb Cheese Straws Recipe
This recipe works best when you work with parchment paper from start to end.
I roll out the dough on the parchment paper. The dough is then placed in the refrigerator and then later baked the same paper.
What you will need to make Low Carb Cheese Straws Recipe.
- Low carb baking mix- 1 cup (see post for details)
- Butter- 6 tablespoons that have been cut up into tablespoons.
- Shredded or grated cheese- 1 cup in total, can use Parmesan, Cheddar, Asiago etc or a combination of cheeses for even more flavor.
- Eggs- 2 beaten lightly.
- Seasonings such as garlic flakes, Italian seasonings, salt etc.- to taste.
How to make this Low Carb Cheese Straws Recipe.
- Line a flat sheet, such as a cookie sheet, with your parchment paper and then set this aside.
- In a bowl or food processor, blend together your low carb baking mix and butter until they are combined into what looks like crumbles. If using a bowl, I like to press the butter into the baking mix using a fork.
- Once the ingredients have been blended together you can mix in the eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in the cheese and work the dough into a large ball.
- Once your dough had formed a ball you can transfer it to the parchment paper lined pan and roll it out flat. If the dough seems to be a bit loose or sticky you can sprinkle on a bit of baking mix to prevent sticking.Roll your dough to 1/4-1/2″ thickness
- Cover your rolled out dough with plastic wrap and then place it into your refrigerator. Refrigerate until hard (usually a few hours ).
When you are ready to prepare your straws.
- Preheat your oven to 350 and remove the dough from the refrigerator.
- Cut the hardened dough into strips and arrange them on the baking sheet so that they are not touching one another.You can twist them to make them more attractive. Also, season your straws desired.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until they begin to brown.
Prep time: 20+3 hours minutes Cook time: 18 Total time: 3 hours 38 minutes Yield: 15-18 depending on the size of your strips.
83 6 1.5K 3